To the editor:

Vincent Adams' latest screed "Liberal rights needed to overthrow conservatism" is so out of touch with reality that a reasonable reaction is pity for any individual who is so uninformed and hate-filled.

It would not be difficult to refute nearly every line, for Adams clearly does not understand Social Security and the need to reform it, conservative ideology or how it differs from libertarianism, the outcome of the last presidential election, the fact that working-class people nationwide are predominantly conservative, while liberals are over-represented among governmental dependents and the super-rich, the oppression inflicted by the left and its bigotry (which Adams demonstrates), the pervasive arrogance of left-wingers (probably rooted in insecurity – Adams demonstrates both qualities), and many other points.

No reasonable person – I need to state explicitly, for Mr. Adams' sake, that this includes conservatives – is in favor of dismantling Social Security, but they do wish to reform it and make it a better deal for taxpayers.

Naturally, left-wingers are threatened by this because successful reforms would slightly lessen the power of and dependence on the federal government, and in addition demonstrate that conservatives are better than liberals at solving big problems. (I confidently predict that Democrats in the Senate will filibuster reform efforts under the guise of "protecting people," but actually will do so because of the second point just made)

The worst course of action is to do nothing. Then, in his retirement, Mr. Adams will discover what an awful investment Social Security was (as currently formulated) and how wrong he was to oppose its reform, and indeed, efforts to free people from government rather than keeping them dependent on it.

Jerry Magloughlin

Geosciences Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

On Wednesday there was an article entitled "Colorado sports teams anything but mile high." It argued that professional sports in Colorado have seen better days. I agree to some extent (the Rockies and Nuggets), but I was upset over two things.

First of all, the author mentioned that the Broncos "have qualified for the NFL Playoffs just three times" since Elway's retirement. This is a mistake. It is astonishing that the Broncos made the playoffs three times in five years after losing Hall of Famers John Elway and Terrell Davis. Making the playoffs, especially in the NFL, is not an easy accomplishment because only 12 out of 32 NFL teams can make it.

My second beef is the failure to even mention Colorado's National Lacrosse League (NLL) team, the Colorado Mammoth. They debuted last year and made it to the playoffs. Also, Gary Gait of the Mammoth won the Most Valuable Player award, and Brian Langtry won Rookie of the Year that same season. Currently, the Mammoth are on the top of the West Division. They are a professional Colorado sports team on the rise, and it promises to be a very exciting year.

My point is, don't lament about how Colorado's "sports failures" have silenced loyal sports fans based on exaggerated evidence like "just making the playoffs three times," and especially if you don't even mention a professional sports powerhouse like the Colorado Mammoth, who will give us plenty to cheer about this season.

Carl Olsen

Sophomore open-option student

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Dan Nifong's letter to the editor in Tuesday's Collegian: No, this world is not as politically correct as it should be. I understand that you are a Christian, but no one is taking away your freedom. No one told you not to wear your cross necklace, worship the Lord on Sundays or display a nativity scene in your front yard. No one is putting you in a concentration camp because of your beliefs, nor are they making you sit at the back of the bus because of your color.

We are now a developed society that is trying to respect all people's beliefs, not just the majority's. America has always been quoted as a melting pot full of different religions and races. Sure, we believe that, but are we even embracing that fact and trying to make it work?

Jesse Jackson believed the same when he said, "I hear that melting-pot stuff a lot, and all I can say is that we haven't melted." Sure, we were founded by Christians, but things have changed if you have regretted to notice. We are a society where 86.2 percent are Christians, 7.5 percent are non-religious or secular, 1.8 percent practice Judaism, 0.7 percent are agnostic and so on; therefore, while Christians dominate, we should embrace all beliefs. So before you get on your high horse and start whining because citizens are now realizing "Merry Christmas" should not be the only phrase displayed, think of how much other races and religions have gone through to be merely accepted by our white and Christian-dominated world.

Alex Jacobson

Freshman, restaurant and resort management

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Alex Jacobson

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Ah, where to start. For the past three months, since the election, I have read numerous Republicans and right-wingers tell all us Democrats and left-wingers to shut up and stop whining, Bush won.

Perhaps this will be a reminder to all those people that this is America. We tend to pride ourselves here that if something is going on in our country the people don't like, they can do something about it.

And so yes, Bush won the election. He even won the popular vote. But there are a lot of us out there who are not happy about it.

So let me clear this up for all of you telling us to shut up. We are not going to just lie down and let Bush and his administration make decisions we don't agree with.

And the simple fact of the matter is, we don't have to. You have the right to express your opinion as much as we do, so if you want to continue wasting your time telling us to shut up, fine.

Just don't actually think any amount of it will work. I hate to tell you that you have four more years left to listen to us fight.

Brittany Holland

Junior psychology student