Authors: J.J. Babb

Gov. Bill Owens appointed two new members to the CSU Board of Governors Friday.

Both Douglas L. Jones of Denver and Ed J. Haselden of Castle Rock await confirmation by the state Senate, and if confirmed they will each serve four-year terms.

"We are very pleased with these appointments," said CSU President Larry Penley in a press release. "Douglas Jones and Ed Haselden will bring outstanding business experience and acumen to their work with the board, which is invaluable as we work to ensure the immediate and long-term success of Colorado State University and Colorado higher education as a whole. They not only have a love for Colorado State and an appreciation for its mission, they also share an acute understanding of the complex issues facing higher education in Colorado today."

The Board of Governors of the CSU System governs both the CSU and CSU-Pueblo campuses. The board has nine voting members appointed by the governor and four elected non-voting members.

Jones hopes to serve the board as a great resource through his experience in business leadership positions.

"Hopefully (I can bring) leadership and ideas and hopefully ideas that make CSU the best it can be for the young people in Colorado," Jones said. "I would like to make sure I am there to support a good president and I think Larry Penley is a very good president."

Jones serves on many Colorado community boards, including the Western Stock Show Association.

This position has provided Jones a connection to CSU through working with CSU's agricultural program.

Jones is also the immediate past chair of the Denver Botanic Gardens Board of Trustees and a past chair of both the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Business Improvement. He serves as the president and owner of the JONES Realty Group.

Haselden also hopes to bring his business background as an attribute to the board.

"I would hope I would bring a business perspective to the board," Haselden said. "As well as the ability to look at issues from a strategic perspective for the university."

He serves on the U.S. Bank Board of Advisors and the executive committee of the Denver Metro Economic Development Corporation. He is also president and chief executive officer of Haselden Construction, LLC.

Haselden Construction hires approximately six to 10 graduates from the

CSU construction management program yearly and also employs about six summer interns. The company also is a big supporter of the construction management program through financial and industry assistance.

CSU has experienced some negative publicity over the past year, in part because of two riots before fall semester, sophomore Samantha Spady's alcohol-related death and freshman Bennett Bertoli's drug- and alcohol- related death, but both Jones and Haselden do not see the negativity as an ongoing problem.

"I think we can learn from it and put a good spin on the many good things. I look at the glass as half full," Jones said. "I think we should see this is an opportunity to turn it around and make it better."

Owens was unable to be reached for comment.