Authors: Nick Piburn

A little weather in Austin, Texas, was not going to make this season a washout for the men's soccer team.

After a successful season in which the Rams went 12-3-1 and earned the region's top seed to the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association's (NIRSA) Soccer Nationals in Austin, the team found itself in a tough situation, as the event was canceled after the quarterfinals because of rain.

The Rams had advanced to the semifinals after beating Vanderbilt 3-2 in penalty shots.

"Over Winter Break, NIRSA invited all the remaining teams down to Tempe, Ariz., to finish the tourney," said team president Steve Krebsbach. "Our team decided to make the arrangements to travel to Arizona to compete for the championship trophy."

The women's soccer gold team also advanced to the semifinals of nationals but decided as a team not to continue on.

After a long layoff, the Rams were the fresher team in the semifinal game with California-Berkeley, dominating the game and winning 2-0.

The Rams next faced off against Texas A&M for the national championship.

"Although we played well, we were unsuccessful in putting the ball in the back of the net, and lost the game 1-0," Krebsbach said. "All in all we are extremely happy and satisfied with our season."

Hockey faces off against CU

While the soccer teams just wrapped up their seasons, the Rams hockey team is about to face one of the biggest games of their season.

The Rams, ranked No. 1 Western Division of the American Collegiate Hockey Association and No. 2 in the ACHA, will host the Western Division's No. 2 Colorado at the Edora Pool and Ice Center tonight at 7:30 p.m. The two teams finish up the home-and-home weekend set in Boulder on Saturday.

"Whoever wins these games will get the No. 1 seed in the West," said team president Jordan Stover.

Over the last few weeks of practice the Rams have been preparing specifically for this match-up.

"We've been working extra hard in practice," Stover said. "Coach also changed up all four offensive lines to give them a different look."

The Rams were also able to scout the Buffs last weekend after both their scheduled games against Long Beach and Metro State were canceled. The Rams will be seeking a different result in this weekend's set with the Buffaloes when the two teams split games in November.