Authors: Lindsay Reiter

Students at the University of Colorado-Boulder cannot rush until the spring, but CSU does not expect to implement deferred recruitment any time soon.

"Deferred recruitment … has proven to be effective in dealing with Greek communities on campuses where the new-member GPA of the chapters is lower than that of their non-Greek peers on campus," said Mark Koepsell, director of CSU Greek Life.

Koepsell said since CSU does not have a problem with the new members of the Greek community's grade point averages, the university has no reason to change when freshman students can rush.

"The new members of the CSU Greek community actually scored almost two-tenths of a point higher than their non-Greek peers this past fall. This would indicate that deferred recruitment is not something that would have a positive impact on the CSU Greek community," Koepsell said.

Deferred recruitment is being used at CU in response to the alcohol-related death of a freshman pledge last fall. Lynn Gordon Bailey was found dead Sept. 17 in the Chi Psi fraternity house near campus.

Charles Huntsman, a senior management major, does not think deferred recruitment will solve any alcohol problems at CU.

"Deferred recruitment doesn't do anything to make kids not want to drink," Huntsman said. "If it was a grades problem (at CU-Boulder) deferred recruitment wouldn't put off any alcohol issues."

Maura Ryan, a former Panhellenic Council president and a senior psychology major, does not believe that deferred recruitment at CU will affect the CSU Greek community.

"Our GPA is what they usually look at, so deferred recruitment shouldn't affect us because both the men's and women's GPA was pretty strong last semester," Ryan said.

Deferred recruitment is one of the many changes that CU is making in an effort to improve the relationship between the university and non-university-affiliated Greek organizations.

"I don't believe that deferred recruitment has been shown to have any positive effect on alcohol use or abuse issues," Koepsell said. "The Greek students at CU-Boulder have been resistant to change and have not proactively dealt with the situation that occurred last fall."

The alcohol problem is not being solved, and deferred recruitment could also potentially hurt the Greek organizations in the future, Koepsell said.

"Deferred recruitment hinders the Greek Life system. Many campus leaders get involved in the fall. As a community the university would be hurt because fewer students would get involved," Huntsman said. "By second semester they're more settled and have already made friends in the residence halls. They are not as likely to go out and get involved in university activities."

Koepsell said he is happy with the way CSU handled a similar situation to Bailey's death – when CSU sophomore Samantha Spady died Sept. 5 at a local fraternity house. Koepsell said he sees no reason to move Rush to the spring.

"I am very proud of the CSU Greek students for taking a mature and proactive approach to handling the tragedy that occurred last semester," Koepsell said. "When they handle the issues that plague them effectively, I don't see any reason that the university should step in and implement another strategy that doesn't even have proven merit for dealing with substance abuse,"