Authors: Jonas Hogg Kansas State Collegian Kansas State U.

(U-WIRE) MANHATTAN, Kan. – As the end of the semester rolls on in, there are many who will soon be leaving our midst. The question on many of their minds is: "What now?"

Doubtless many of our graduates will go on to do great things. This university has produced chemists, engineers, hotel managers, social scientists and even the current chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Myers.

These are the people that show the rest of us that hard work and perseverance does pay off. But it is not these people that I am concerned about. I am concerned about the other portion of our graduates.

These are the people who will re-emerge from anonymity during the last few weeks of class in a desperate attempt to get that vaunted "C." These are the people who vanished in early September only to reappear sporadically throughout the semester, if ever again.

These are the people who, through a combination of wasting their parent's money and everyone else's time, have managed to squeak out of here with a degree.

Those of us who have actually put effort into getting an education will be only too happy to see you go. Sadly, there's another fresh crop of idiots just waiting to take your place.

Fortunately, I think we'll be able to survive without you.

Granted, it will be hard. I'm sure that some of us will miss having to wait for you to finish your game of Yahoo!Pool on the library computers before we can actually do work.

As you are now a college graduate, maybe you are prepared to take on the strategy and intricacies of Solitaire.

I'll certainly miss you coming in however many minutes late to class, making as much noise as humanly possible. Fortunately, the job waiting for you mixing asphalt will allow for you to be as noisy as you could possibly want.

The classrooms will be lonely without your inane babble in the background. Ranging from intellectually scintillating topics such as "Oh man, I got so drunk last night" to the brain teaser "Oh wow, he's so hot." I can only hope your oratory skills serve you well as you flex your diploma by charging into that drive-through manager's position.

Are you one of these people? If so, then as the realization that you have frittered away several years of your life and thousands of dollars rolls over you, I want you to reflect on all these moments the rest of us truly treasure.

But, don't worry about the thousands of dollars that you owe for student loans. I'm sure they'll forgive them all when you tell them that you really didn't think that you would ever have to pay them back.

Ultimately, maybe it will dawn on you that you really didn't need to be here. That higher education was not, in fact, put into place to provide four additional years of high school.

There are many, like myself, who worked hard to get here, and now that we are here, continue to work hard. For us, having to wade through a sea of morons only cheapens the experience we've worked so hard to have.

As I said in my first column, there are many people, probably more deserving than you and I, who will never have the opportunities we have.

So, for those of you who will be returning next semester, stop and think about what you're doing.

If you're not here with an intent to learn then kindly extricate yourself and make way for someone who is.