Authors: Sara Bahnson

CSU chemistry professor Branka Ladanyi has been named a fellow, or member, of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a peer-elected honor that recognizes her efforts to advance science through her research.

"It's nice to get peer recognition of my research efforts," Ladanyi said.

The AAAS is an international, non-profit organization that, in addition to providing science programs and education, publishes the journal, Science.

Fellows of the AAAS are nominated by other fellows, the Steering Groups of the association's 24 sections, or by a chief executive officer, according to the AAAS Web site.

"It is a big honor to be named a fellow because we have 120,000 individual members in the AAAS," said Ginger Pinholster, director of Public Programs for the AAAS.

In September, the AAAS elected 308 members as fellows of the association. Fellowships were given for a variety of sections including anthropology, biological sciences, education, engineering, geology and others. Ladanyi was recognized in the field of chemistry.

"My research concerns molecular modeling and how one can predict the properties of molecules based on the model," Ladanyi said.

Ladanyi, who teaches general and physical chemistry classes at CSU, specifically uses computer simulations to model chemical reactions beginning at the molecular level.

Ladanyi will be recognized at the Fellows Forum in February during the AAAS annual meeting in Washington, D.C. She will be presented with a certificate and a blue and gold rosette pin, the colors symbolizing engineering and science, respectively.

"It's great that she is getting well-deserved recognition for her outstanding accomplishments," said Anthony Rappe, chemistry department chairman. "It certainly helps to recognize CSU as well as the chemistry department."