Authors: Ryan Chapman

As it is now the holiday season and this will be my last column before our Christmas hiatus I thought it would be fitting to share with you all some of the things that I am thankful for this year.

I am thankful for a wonderful family and friends, a fun university and decent grades, and most of all for a free and proud country where people like myself can actually express their opinions without being maimed (an ever serious risk during an election year). As the days count down to Christmas, however, and as I rewrite and revise my wish list for Santa, I find myself more and more thankful for one thing in particular. "Halo 2" on X-box.

For those of you who have yet to experience the sensual bombardment of "Halo 2," I suggest you put it high on the list of things for old St. Nick to bring you. For those of you who have enjoyed countless sleepless nights, and have missed several important classes in the quest to destroy the covenant hordes, welcome to the club. I too wake in my sleep to the sound of grenades bouncing and shields recharging. And I too have forgotten to blink during a game and shown up to work looking like I've been sharing a one-bedroom apartment with Cheech and Chong.

Never before has a video game (I hesitate to call it a game, it is more like a religion) threatened to destroy all holiday family bonding. This will be the first year in modern times where there will be no males ages 8 to 30 present at family celebrations. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or some other holiday you can be assured that your sons and brothers will be either glued to the television in a battle of life or death with the flood. Or they will be ravaging through packages like rabid hyenas searching for their very own copy of "the holy grail of video gaming" as I have come to call it.

Do not fret, however, as the holiday spirit is still alive and well. Not in the malls perhaps, and not in the streets, maybe not even in the North Pole. I assure you though that the spirit of Christmas still abounds in the magical, electronic world of X-box Live (bet you didn't see that coming.) It is the new Santa's Workshop where elves in active camouflage attempt to dismember each other. A place where friends and family can gather to revel in the glow of 21st century technology, and kiss under the mistletoe.

On a more serious note though I want to wish everyone a happy holiday season, successful week of finals, and a wonderful month off from school – even if you do spend that entire month playing video games.

Ryan Chapman is a junior business marketing major. His column will run every week next semester.