To the Editor:

Being a certified nursing assistant at Columbine Care Center West, I was there for the Holiday Ball on Dec. 4. I assisted many residents, including Frank Saracino, pictured on the front page of Monday's paper, in getting ready for the Holiday Ball. What this means is I am in a position to know about these residents' lives. I will be the first to say that they had a blast at the party. In fact, some residents were still talking about it the next day.

However, how should I answer a certain female resident when she asked me, "When will we see them (Greeks) again?" Was I correct to answer, "Probably a year from now"? If you could see the joy that any visitor brings to these residents, you could understand why I would ask, "Where have you been any of the other 364 days out of the year?" I encourage not only the Greeks but also everyone on this campus to step out and bring some joy to these residents, even when it is not just Christmastime or when a huge production like the Holiday Ball is put on. Even more importantly, do not just visit with those like Frank who can share their life stories with you, but especially those who are incapable of speaking and interacting with you. Try that and you will see the difference you have made by the look in their eyes. The residents and I hope to see you soon!

Aaron Kinney

Senior, biological science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I imagine some of the Collegian's readers would like to get some more diversity in the newspaper. Hearing about Iraq and dry local news can get a little tiresome after a while. A serious issue that gets over looked quite often is the condition of the rainforests. It is easy to overlook the issue because of the geographic regions between us, making the rainforest seem like it has little impact in our lives. However, this is not the case, the deforestation of the rainforest will have permanent impacts that will change the way we live in the future. Did you know … We lose 51 million acres of rainforest a year? We lose 137 plant and animal species each day (some possibly containing medicines to prevent disease)? Deforestation is also the second largest contributor to the greenhouse effect.

What's my point you ask? I encourage the readers out there to do a small part and help protect the rainforest. I don't expect you to stop eating meat or discontinue buying wood products. I do ask however if you could do your planet a favor and donate to the Protect an Acre Foundation. Log onto ran.org and pledge money. Any amount is fine. I found it very satisfying to help out and I hope you feel the same.

Matt Santomarco

Freshman, open option

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Dec. 7, 2004, a day where everybody goes about their business. I'm writing this letter in disgust for the university and whoever is in charge of the flagpole in the center of the Plaza. On such a significant day in history, where 63 years ago so many lost their lives in an attack on the United States, the flag still flies at full-mast. As many remember, Dec. 7 is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, and marks the beginning of World War II for the United States. Today we are in a different time, and a different war, but there will always be those who fought and died for the lifestyle that we all enjoy. I can walk through the parking lot and see hundreds of yellow car magnets that say "Support our Troops," yet get into the Plaza to find that on such a solemn day for our country, the flag flies high. There is no excuse that the flag should not be at half-mast on a day like Dec. 7 if only for students to pass by and remember those who have given them the lives they enjoy today.

Todd Kreykes

Junior, business major