Authors: Jon Pilsner

Fans at CSU men's and women's basketball game will have an another reason to be a little louder this season.

With the idea of boosting student attendance and spirit at basketball games this year, the CSU athletic department is sponsoring a contest at each home basketball game this season, pitting student section against student section.

In-line with moving student seating to both sections AA and JJ behind the baskets at floor level, the athletic department will pick a winning section based on its participation and cheering during the game.

Each side has been deemed a specific color, white or green, visible by the rope lights encircling each section.

"Our hope is that they will compete against each other in who is the loudest and craziest each game," said Ben Lorenzen, athletic marketing and promotions coordinator for the athletic department.

From the winning section, a student will be picked to win a prize per game. Prizes range from CSU Bookstore gift certificates, to pizza for a year from Pizza Hut.

"We wanted a better student turnout, and for them to be louder," Lorenzen said. "It's always been Moby Maniacs, now it's just Moby Maniacs Green and Moby Maniacs White."

"Moby Maniacs" T-shirts will be handed out to the first 1,000 students attending the home game against Brigham Young on Jan. 15.

Lorenzen said the hope is to draw more students and to make each section louder and more enthusiastic during the game.

During each game, the athletic department will make a decision as to which section was louder and participated more during the game. From that section, a student will be randomly chosen for a prize by his or her seat and section number.

"But, if it's close, we'll let the rest of the crowd decide," Lorenzen said.

Prizes include a $250 certificates from the CSU Bookstore, Steamboat Lift Tickets and a free Pizza Hut pizza every month for a year. Tickets to next year's CSU-Colorado football game and gift certificates to Outback Steakhouse will also be given out.

Certain students, as decided on by the athletic department, will also receive prizes for being loud and enthusiastic during the game, Lorenzen said. They would be given prizes such as CSU apparel items or a buy-one-get-one free coupon from Pizza Hut.

"Students are a vital part of the fan base that we need to be successful," said Gary Ozzello, director of media relations for the athletic department. "Everyone associated with our program agrees that student attendance and fan enthusiasm has an impact on the game's outcome."