No More Civil Unions

Authors: Ben Bleckley

A Judeo-Christian biblical argument does not prove homosexuality is evil. Even if it did, it shouldn't matter in a secular nation such as the United States.

It does not make sense that anyone should be poking their noses into other people's bedrooms. In Georgia, oral sex is illegal. In Texas, sodomy is punishable by law. It is nobody's business.

As if homosexual acts are going to affect anyone other than the two people involved in a mutually loving relationship. Sure, there are probably gay and lesbian relationships out there that aren't mutually loving, just as there are between opposite-sex couples. But why do Americans make it their business when two people of the same sex want to have a loving, family-building relationship.

This brings up the argument of "family values." Are there seriously people out there who are worried that if gay marriage is legalized, their husbands or wives will leave the family for one of their same sex? It is certainly not unheard of, but I know I'm marrying my fianc/e because I love her, not because it's the only legal means to start a family.

And, if more gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals were allowed the rights of marriage and adoption, think of how many more foster children would find a home. How many more loving, nurturing families would be created? Some are worried that the kids would then be brought up to be of an "abnormal" sexual orientation themselves. However, the nurturing environment of heterosexual parents doesn't seem to change the orientation of any gay or lesbian children.

I remember the day I decided to be a heterosexual. For months I had weighed the various options. On one hand, I could decide to find other men attractive, never have the chance at starting a real family with health-insurance benefits, never receive joint custody of adopted children, be called numerous derogatory terms for the remainder of my life, and be completely rejected by society and possibly my family and loved ones. On the other hand, I could find women attractive, start a family, never have to worry about being fired for my sexual orientation (which is not protected in Colorado or 35 other states) and be completely accepted and successful in society.

Seriously, who would choose to be gay? I didn't wake up one morning and decide it was time to weigh my options. I found women attractive and that was the end of it. I couldn't change that if I tried. Go ahead, try. Right now, where you're sitting reading this. If you are heterosexual, look across the room at a member of the same sex and see if you can become sexually aroused. Even just slightly attracted. No one is going to know if you try. How can you condemn someone for their sexual orientation unless you know it could be a conscious choice?

What angers me the most, personally, is that the Democratic Party can't just suck it up and support gay marriage. Enough with this civil union business. Our nation has a separation of church and state. Gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender individuals deserve all the rights and privileges a marriage entails – including the actual marriage license.

Ben Bleckley is a junior English major. His columns usually run on Mondays in the Collegian.