To the editor:

We find the reference made to Botswana in Meg Burd's article entitled "A Diamond Might Not Be So Pretty" grossly deceptive and misleading to unsuspecting members of the public. The London-based nongovernmental organization Survival International has been given the facts about the relocation of people from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, but its director, Mr. Stephen Corry, and a close circle of his associates have chosen to play ignorant to the facts and persisted in making false and misleading allegations about the relocation and government's policies toward the development needs of Basarwa of the central Kgalagadi. Mr. Corry, his close associates and their collaborators have sought to put pressure on the Botswana government to accede to their ill-informed and ill-intentioned demands by targeting Botswana's diamond industry – the main source of the country's prosperity and the means by which the government is able to provide for the welfare and development needs of all citizens of Botswana. Mr. Corry and his associates' falsehoods have not only been disputed by the government of Botswana but also by many others who have made an effort to establish the veracity of the allegations. Numerous independent observers, including British Parliamentarians, members of the European Parliament, representatives of international NGOs, international reporters, etc., have visited the CKGR and the relocated communities at the new settlements of Kgoesakeni (New Xade), Kaudwane and Xere to establish the facts firsthand, and their observations and reports stand in clear contrast to the allegations made by Survival International.

We therefore wish to caution members of the international community, particularly members of the media, to be wary of information distributed by Survival International and its collaborators about Botswana. Survival International's campaign against Botswana has been widely discredited and it should be seen for what it really is – a cheap, calculated and malicious use of Basarwa of the central Kgalagadi as a fundraising gimmick for the NGO.

C.S Maribe

Public Relations, Research and Information Division

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation

Gaborone, Botswana

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I must say Mr. Chapman has definitely outdone himself lately. First he writes an article comparing Scott Peterson to those who support abortion rights, calling our society hypocritical. But that wasn't enough; he had to spout extremist right-wing ideas about liberals in his Thursday article. I am proud to be a liberal and I don't care for those in this society who consider me immoral and unpatriotic. I am for free speech, but you should have your facts straight first. So here are some things that should help clear up some of the ignorance about liberals and some wrong ideas presented in Chapman's last article.

1) Liberals support abortion rights. Not all care for abortion, and some are even anti-abortion. A good number are against partial-birth abortion, but they care about freedom of choice.

2) The church did not create marriage; it was created long before the church. It was created so that men knew their wives were having their children, and women knew the father was there to support the children. It was based on survival.

3) I am not looking to start a civil war, and I highly doubt other liberals are plotting one; we just joke around sometimes. We actually like this country, and that even includes some of the conservatives who live here. We wouldn't mind working with them if it will truly benefit our society.

In the meantime, we are going to "complain" by expressing our opinion. This is our right and those who are ignorant of our side should not disrespect us and look down on us. Mr. Chapman, please take some time to look at what liberalism is all about; you may find that we're not all that bad.

Erin Hansen

Sophomore, psychology

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In the "ASCSU seeks faculty background check" article Associated Students of CSU Sen. Peter McGuire stated that "My roommate has like five or six felonies … He's never checked the box." It seems that many students may have convictions for violent and nonviolent crimes but have never informed the university. They feared they would be denied admission and that Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services would use authoritarian tactics to deny their admittance or admit them and then disperse their confidential information in an effort to harass them to leave CSU. They took this stance, as it seems that students, with nonviolent convictions dating back 10, 20 or 30 years, have had the confidentiality of their personal records violated. Furthermore, the university violates its policies by forcing individuals with ancient nonviolent convictions to submit to the Application Review Committee that is intended for "applicants who have been convicted of a crime and who are presently incarcerated or on probation."

Honest students are penalized and, therefore, other students are wary of informing the university of their past. Furthermore, according to the Feb. 27 Collegian; the Feb. 26 Denver Post; the Feb. 26 Fort Collins Coloradoan, and the Aug. 23, 2003, Rocky Mountain News, CSU paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (not including legal fees or lawsuits settled outside court) to cover lawsuits against a professor for sexual harassment and other improprieties. It seems that because of this harassment, and the failure of the administration to take action, three of the harassed women left the university and one took early retirement while the offender remains a CSU professor, according to a Feb. 27 article in the Collegian! It seems the university protects its own. However, those own do not include students or female faculty/staff.

Robert Koehler

Graduate Student, Sociology

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I have been trying very hard to follow Ryan Chapman's advice in his column Nov. 18 to take things I hear in the media with a grain of salt, but this is becoming increasingly more difficult. Either Chapman, a business student, is still euphorically dizzied by four more years of tax cuts and federal deficits that he can't think straight or he just plain hasn't been paying attention to anything at all. No one is trying to "deny the sanctity of marriage and the church that created it." Churches maintain the right to deny marriage to anyone they see fit. The problem is when our government, which guarantees the separation of church and state, gets involved. He asks us to forget the fact that President George W. Bush and Rep. Marilyn Musgrave just tried to change the Constitution of the United States motivated solely by religious arguments. His remaining arguments are equally deceptive or poorly conceived.

Since the gist of Chapman's piece is denying Bush's fascism, I will leave you with the following.

Free Inquiry magazine published 14 "warning signs" of fascist behavior (based on a study of prominent fascists such as Hitler, Mussolini and Franco). Some of these behaviors include avid militarism, powerful expressions of nationalism, identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause, disdain for human rights, obsession with national security, controlled mass media, religion and ruling elite united, power of corporations protected while labor rights rejected or denied, and fraudulent elections.

You decide for yourselves.

Rhys Roberts

Graduate student

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

CSU lost a truly great individual Wednesday. David Karspeck is deeply missed by all who know him. As a fellow Berthoud High School graduate I knew David personally. David was an Eagle Scout, and was always there to lighten the mood. Now here at CSU we didn't see each other as much, but occasionally we would see each other around campus and catch up with each other. I just never thought that when we saw each other at the UNLV football game it would be our last. David was in the prime of his life. Planning on graduating in May, David had aspirations of traveling in Germany. I know at this age it seems like we have our whole lives ahead of us, and CSU's loss of David is a humbling reminder how precious life is. With the end of the semester approaching it is easy to get caught up in all that is going on, but make sure to take time to appreciate all the people you have in your lives. David, you will be missed by all.

Andy Johnson

Junior business management major