CSU student dies over break

Authors: J.J. Babb

A rosary will be held today for 23-year-old CSU student David Karspeck, who was pronounced dead Thursday at Poudre Valley Hospital.

The cause of death is pending.

Karspeck, a senior computer science major, was found near the bottom of the Student Recreation Center swimming pool by a fellow swimmer on Wednesday. The fellow swimmer pulled him from the pool and a lifeguard attempted to resuscitate him. He was then transported to the hospital.

Karspeck had been working out with his brother John Karspeck, and he planned to have dinner with his family later in the evening.

The Larimer County Coroner's Office preformed an autopsy on Karspeck's body Thursday morning. Because of continued testing, the cause of death remains undetermined. However, there was no trauma to the body, ruling out the possibility that Karspeck hit his head on the bottom of the pool.

"Hopefully in the next few days we can pin down something and know which way to go (on the cause of death)," said Greg Fairman, deputy coroner and investigator. "It's just a healthy young 23-year-old who had an unfortunate incident."

Karspeck planned to graduate in May and then travel, specifically to Germany.

According to an obituary in the Fort Collins Coloradoan, Karspeck was an excellent writer and mathematician, an avid reader and an Eagle Scout.

"He enjoyed muscle cars, sports and computer gaming. He loved to laugh and continually entertained family and friends with his zany, unconventional behavior. He lived life boldly and with humor but was also a gentle man with a tender love for small animals," stated the obituary.

A letter to the editor the Collegian received Sunday expressed how much Karspeck will be missed.

The letter was sent from junior business management major Andy Johnson, who graduated from Berthoud High School with Karspeck.

"David was in the prime of his life," Johnson wrote. "I know at this age it seems like we have our whole lives ahead of us, and CSU's loss of David is a humbling reminder how precious life is. With the end of the semester approaching it is easy to get caught up in all that is going on, but make sure to take time to appreciate all the people you have in your lives. David, you will be missed by all."

Karspeck's organs and tissues were donated.

The fifth of seven children born to Milan and Pat Karspeck of Berthoud, Karspeck grew up in the Fort Collins area. His father, Milan Karspeck, is Berthoud's mayor.

A rosary will be at 7 p.m. today at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1515 Hilltop St., in Loveland. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. John.

The David Karspeck Memorial Fund has been set up, and donations may be sent to Box 1362, Berthoud, CO 80537. All donations will be given to the Larimer Humane Society.