Authors: Eric Klamper

Controversy arose last weekend as a local promotions company held an event Saturday with gelatin wrestling and drink specials at the C.B & Potts Clubhouse and distributed fliers stating it would donate a portion of its profits to the SAM Spady Foundation.

The SAM Spady Foundation was established in the wake of 19-year-old CSU sophomore Samantha Spady's death from acute alcohol poisoning. Her body was discovered at the Sigma Pi fraternity, 709 Wager Drive, in the early morning hours of Sept. 5.

Spady's family, friends and members of the CSU Greek community created the foundation to alleviate alcohol abuse through a peer-to-peer alcohol awareness program that can be incorporated into U.S. university orientations.

Architecture Entertainment, the company that sponsored the "Wrestle-O" event, organized the night to include free shots for the "first 100 ladies," according to the fliers.

Architecture Entertainment's owner, Brian Collins, said it was never his intention to use Spady's name for financial gain, according to a story in the Denver Post Tuesday.

"We were not trying to capitalize on her situation," Collins said. "To me, it's all being blown out of proportion. But I could see how somebody could take it the wrong way."

As the event seemed to be geared toward accommodating female drinkers, many Fort Collins residents found the event to be in poor taste, including Spady's friends and family.

"It was just so stupid of them," said Mirna Guerra, a freshman art major who was Spady's close friend. "It doesn't make any sense to have an alcohol-related event as a fundraiser for an organization that is trying to keep people from drinking."

C.B. & Potts, 1427 W. Elizabeth St., which has held fundraising event for organizations such as the March of Dimes and many CSU organizations, was unaware that Excalibur Entertainment, Architecture Entertainment's parent company, had planned to donate any of the night's revenue to the foundation, according to a C.B. & Potts statement.

Some students believe the organization made light of Spady's death by including her name in the promotions.

C.B. & Potts apologized for the event and any insult it has caused the community and the Spady family, according to the statement. It no longer plans to no longer hold events with Excalibur Entertainment.

"It showed no compassion for what the people who knew Sam had to go through," said Chris Roggensack, a sophomore business major and a former member of Sigma Pi. "She died because of alcohol and that event was trying to promote girls drinking. It's just so disrespectful to Sam and the Spady family."