Authors: Ryan Chapman

Many people on campus and many of my fellow columnists would have you believe that President George W. Bush is a maniacal fascist. A fascist whose primary goal for this country is to crush our civil rights and force his Christianity on every man, woman and child. He will summon his army of "brown shirts," such as Marilyn Musgrave, and they will commence their quest to remove everything good in this country. Then they will outlaw elections and run America as a one-party political system forever.

Well, I am here to tell you to not believe this ignorance. No, ignorance isn't the right word – this kind of thinking teeters near the line of insanity. Trying to scare everyone with extravagant stories of what the future may hold is called scare tactics and is exactly what the liberals were so hypocritically furious with Bush for before the election. Having morals and a strong sense of virtue makes no one a fascist.

The fact of the matter is that this country is extremely polarized right now. It is also fact, however, that the majority of Americans believe Bush is the best choice for leader of this country, or leader of the free world for that matter. So, it's time to move on. If Democrats don't like that Sen. John Kerry lost, maybe they should have picked a better candidate. It's not Bush's fault that no one, even now, can figure out what Kerry's morals and beliefs are.

Now allow me, for just a moment, to use some scare tactics of my own.

Many of the comments and messages I've heard spread by liberals in the past few weeks are eerily similar to those made by the Separatists before the civil war. Now, I am thinking, what's to stop them from starting a second civil war and just leaving the union? The truth is they probably can. The south seceded to protect its right to hold slaves, and now the left could secede to protect its so-called "rights" to kill unborn children and to deny the sanctity of marriage and the church that created it.

Given, it would be a much smaller rebel territory, and California and New York would have a hard time coordinating supplies and armaments. But with a little old-fashioned determination, I think they could pull it off. Maybe they could even get Canada and France to join their side. That would make it even more entertaining.

Now, this may seem a little over-the-top, and I admit it is. But I use this example only as a means to show how completely ridiculous some of the ideas floating around since the election are.

So I encourage all my readers today to take things you hear on campus and in the media with a grain of salt. That is, don't believe everything you hear. And take a little piece of advice from the ever-controversial Arnold Schwarzenegger when he said last week, "Why would I listen to losers?"

Ryan Chapman is a junior business marketing major. His column runs every Thursday in the Collegian.

Authors: Ryan Chapman