Authors: Justin Shaw

The CSU men's and women's cross country teams raced to fifth and third-place finishes, respectively, on Saturday when they hosted the 2004 NCAA Mountain Regional Cross Country meet.

The event was held at the Colindale Golf Course in Fort Collins.

"Being at home helped us a lot today," said junior Josh Glaab. "Around every corner somebody was cheering us on, and it felt good."

The women's race started at 11 a.m. and the Rams took advantage of being at home by tying Utah State for third overall for the meet. Colorado won the meet with 32 points, BYU was second with 54 and the Rams and Aggies tied with 131 points for third. Danielle Korb was the first Ram to cross the finish line, placing 14th with a time of 21:11.04 for the 6-kilometer course. Close behind her was teammate Nicole Feest, who finished 19th in 21:40.9.

"It was nice to beat some of the runners from the top schools like CU and BYU," Korb said. "This was a good experience to prepare us for nationals."

Runners Michelle Carmen, Linnea Pudwell and Colleen Blair weren't far behind Korb and Feest, finishing 32nd, 33rd and 34th, respectively, and Rebekah Yetzer finished 87th.

"We followed coach (Del Hessel's) plan and stayed together the whole race and we knew that the three, four and five runners were very important to the team's success," Blair said.

CU runner Renee Metivier took first in the women's race, helping lead the Buffs to a first-place finish in the region with a time of 20:05.4. BYU runner Laura Turner earned a third-place finish, while leading her team to a second-place finish in the meet.

The men's team also had a top-five finish. The men took fifth place behind CU, BYU, Air Force and New Mexico. The men were led by All-American hopefuls Glaab and Mike Nicks. Nicks finished seventh overall with a time of 30:07.2 and Glaab ran the 10-kilometer race in 30:11.8, placing 11th.

"We matched up with the other top teams well," Nicks said. "My goal for nationals is to make All-American."

Matt Cianciulli, Paul Michel, Rob Watson and Jeff Scull rounded out the scoring for the Rams, finishing 34th, 38th, 57th, and 85th, respectively.

"We ran a good first mile and a half, but split up too early in the race," Cianciulli said. "But we were in the strongest region in the country, so we are happy with our performance and look forward to nationals."

Matt Gonzales of New Mexico finished first in the men's race with a time of 29:45.1 and was followed by CU's Bret Schoolmeester, who finished second and helped the Buffs take home the men's team title.

CU won the meet with a score of 40 points and were followed by BYU with 62, Air Force with 106, New Mexico with 136 and the Rams, who had 138.

The NCAA National Tournament will be held on Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Ind., and will feature more than 230 top runners from all across the nation.