Authors: Paul Baker

The CSU hockey team has one goal for the season: to win.

After the first weekend of play, the Rams are still on course. The team won all three of its games to start off the season 3-0.

The Rams kicked off the season on Friday night against a weak Weber State team. This game was an offensive showcase for the Rams, as they won 13-0. The teams reconvened again on Saturday and resulted in a blowout again, as the Rams beat the Wildcats 15-0.

“The offense and defense played really strong,” said Jordan Stoyer, hockey club president.

The Rams then wrapped up the weekend with a 9-5 win over Metro State.

“We played solid throughout our lineup this weekend,” Stoyer said.

The men’s lacrosse team was also in action over the weekend as it hosted a tournament of six teams, including two CSU teams.

The CSU-A team finished the weekend 3-0 with wins over Genesis, the University of Denver club team and the University of Colorado.

In the first game of the day CSU-A matched up against Genesis, a team composed of mostly CSU alumni. The game turned out to be a battle and a good test for the Rams, as they won in overtime 8-7. In game two, the Rams dominated the DU club team 19-4. In game three, the Rams jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead against Colorado, but the Buffaloes inched their way back in the game, making it 3-2 at halftime. In the second half, the Rams showed why they have won three out of the last six national championships and scored five goals for the 8-2 win.

“Our offense really started to click this game,” said Jason Newell, lacrosse club president. “The defense was working well together as well.”

The men’s rugby team also had a showdown with CU. The Rams traveled down to Boulder over the weekend, taking the field against No. 20 Buffs.

The Rams were winning 34-7 with about five minutes remaining in the match, when CU put in a surge. The Buffs scored two consecutive tries to pull within 13 points, but the Rams held on for the win 34-21.

“We finally stepped up and laid everything we had on the field,” said Jacob Silverman, rugby club president.