Authors: Nicole Burbank

Many students know about the academic resources available on campus, but some may not be aware of the resources designed to cater to their health.

The Wellness Zone is the result of collaboration between CSU’s three wellness programs: the University Counseling Center, Campus Recreation and Hartshorn Health Service.

“Our main goal with the Wellness Zone is to provide a place for students to get resources (about wellness),” said Brandy Hodgson, a graduate assistant who works in the zone. “We found that students need to be more informed.”

The Wellness Zone offers weekly programs to students, as well as specialized programs that change every week.

“We develop weekly and monthly themes, and each of the wellness programs try to provide programs for students with that theme in mind,” said Lynn Kalert, a registered nurse who splits her time between Hartshorn and the Wellness Zone.

This week’s theme is asthma awareness. The zone will be offering programs and seminars designed to inform students about asthma and will have information for anyone who walks in.

Among the programs offered on a weekly basis are chair massages, resume and career help counseling, “Ask the SexPert,” stress-management counseling and fitness report cards.

The Wellness Zone is staffed almost entirely by students. In general, there are six on staff at a time, plus the specialized people who only come in for programs, like the certified massage therapists who come in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

“We wanted to focus on utilizing students in order to educate other students,” Kalert said.

The Wellness Zone is located on the main level of Lory Student Center, next to the University Bookstore entrance.

“We highly suggest that students drop in any time,” Hodgson said.

The Wellness Zone is no cost to students, except the specialized programs, such as massages and vaccinations.

“Besides the great people that come in to help with the programs offered, it’s just a great place to hang out,” said Linzi Gibson, a senior psychology major visiting the Wellness Zone.