To the editor:

I want to apologize to the CSU students for any suggestion in my letter to the editor Wednesday that the Associated Students of CSU is not working on issues important to students. This is obviously not true and I didn’t intend to suggest that it was. ASCSU plays a vital and important role in fighting for the student’s voice, and I know it will continue to do so. It deserves your support and mine. My issue was primarily with the Collegian’s extensive coverage of the alcohol issue at the exclusion of others; but I was happy to open the paper today and see a front-page article on the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights and Amendment 23.

Steven Church

Academic Adviser

College of Liberal Arts

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

As long as we are banning stuff that is dangerous to us, let’s ban smoking on campus. I feel like I lose three to four minutes off of my life every time I walk into or out of the Morgan Library. Shame on you smokers, shame. Let us not forget driving on campus; I almost get run over every day. Shame on you drivers, shame. Oh yes, and television. Although it probably will not physically kill you, it will kill your mind. Shame on you TV watchers, shame. I think that I will sit on the steps of the Administration Building until these bans go into effect.

Nathan Thompson

Junior open-option major

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Cpl. Kenith Zetye, U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, wrote a (Collegian) column on Sept. 17, in which he stated, “This war is about making America safe from terrorists that want nothing more than to kill you and your family.”

In “Hearts and Minds,” a documentary about the war in Vietnam, Gen. William Westmoreland demonized the North Vietnamese people by saying they are evil and do not care about human life like we do. Aren’t Westmoreland’s observations equally valid in order to describe the Muslim and Palestinian terrorists in the Middle East? Or anyone we need to identify as “the enemy”?

Are all the relatives of the 1,000 Americans and the 10,000-plus Iraqis killed in that tragic land grateful for the sacrifices we made for them?

Zetye employed ridicule by using the argument, “Perhaps Bush just loves to see people die, bombs to fall and people to be in misery?”

Well, let’s get serious.

It should be recalled that, despite several historians’ claims that the Japanese were ready to surrender at least two months earlier, President Harry Truman ordered the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, killing 200,000 people immediately and several thousands more in years to come because of radiation poisoning.

When the pilots on both sides of any war fire their missiles and drop cluster bombs on cities and villages, do those pilots express remorse? Do they refuse to use additional missiles and bombs in succeeding days, or are their appetites or sleep impaired by pangs of conscience? Do they consider their mission to be endowed by a higher authority and therefore justified and noble? Do the tank commanders and machine gunners feel the same impersonal satisfaction when the enemy is blown away?

Joe Stern

Community member