Authors: Pete Scalia

The CSU women’s tennis team will open its season by traveling to Provo, Utah. The BYU Cougars will be hosting a tournament on their newly resurfaced courts Thursday through Saturday.

CSU will start the season unranked alongside Utah State, Utah, Weber State and Boise State, who are all making the trip to BYU. Of the ranked teams in the tournament, Denver is ranked No. 46 and New Mexico is No. 31. BYU, which should be the favorite to win this tournament, is No. 21 in the nation. This tournament will be filled with great women’s tennis players from around the world.

The Cougars feature some of the best doubles teams in the nation. Hadley Macfarlane teams with Lauren Jones as the 34th best doubles team in the nation, and Sara Holden and Jenny Miccoli combine to be the 42nd.

New Mexico will be putting a lot of stock in junior Maja Kovacek and sophomore Iva Gersic, who are individually ranked at 41st and 62nd, respectively, but when they compete as doubles they make the 11th best team overall.

The Rams will also bring a very talented squad to Utah. Seniors Alexandra Paganetti and Dasha Zhurin lead a solid lineup of Rams. Juniors Jasmin Singh, Carla Pallares and Jessica Jones all return to the team that finished last season with a winning 13-12 record for the first time since 2001.

CSU sophomore Emily Kirchem will look to continue her dominance after winning 22 singles matches last year to lead the Rams. Kirchem was also selected as part of the All-Mountain West Conference team.

“Emily has a consistent and steady style of play; she can hang in there with anybody and she won’t beat herself” said head coach Jon Messick on csurams.com

While some schools such as CSU, BYU and Utah State will open their seasons in this tournament, other universities have already played in tournaments.

“We’re excited to take a look at where we’re at,” said Christian Wright, Utah State head coach.

The Aggies finished last season with a 5-14 and 0-6 in the Sun Belt Conference.

Denver had a completely opposite year last season, going 20-1 and winning its last 17 on a path to taking the Sun Belt title. This year, at the Colorado Invitational, the Pioneers beat Auburn twice, tied and lost to CU and lost twice to Notre Dame.