Authors: Bob Fernandez

Colorado State University’s men’s golf team will kick off its season this Saturday when it plays in the Radrick Farms Intercollegiate in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The University of Michigan will be the host of the two-day tournament and 14 universities will compete, including CSU, Ball State, Georgia State, Indiana, Iowa, Memphis, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Rice, UNC-Wilmington, Wisconsin and Xavier.

The 54-hole tournament will take place at Radrick Farms Golf Course, which is a par 72 course, measuring 6,979 yards. The tournament will consist of three rounds. Teams will compete in the first two rounds on Saturday and the final round on Sunday.

Five players will play for each team, with the four best scores counting toward the team’s overall score.

CSU head coach Jamie Bermel said that in order for the young, inexperienced team to be successful, the team will have to rely on this year’s returnees.

“We need the three veterans (John Hayes, Kevin McAlpine and Nate Pettitt) to play solid golf,” Bermel said. “If we do that, we will do just fine. This team has no margin for error, which means we can’t have anyone playing bad or wasting strokes out on the golf course.”

The three veterans will be joined by teammates Derrick Whiting, who has never before played in a Division I tournament, and Aaron Weston, who has played in only one team and one individual tournament, Bermel said.

McAlpine admitted that the team is nervous going into the first tournament of the season, but said he still expects the team to play well.

“I’m sure everyone is nervous and anxious to get off to a good start, but it’s only one tournament,” McAlpine said. “I have high expectations for both the team and myself. I always compete to win and I’m sure the other guys feel the same. If we all go out there and play as good as we know we can, we can win for sure.”

Pettitt is looking at the tournament as a chance to set the tone for the rest of the season.

“The first tournament in Michigan will help indicate what to better expect throughout the season as well and give us some feedback on the things we need to work on,” Pettitt said. “We have been practicing and playing all summer, so everyone should be ready to go.”