Authors: J.J. Babb

On Thursday Fort Collins Police Services identified the woman injured in the car-surfing accident as Shailynne Manning of Cheyenne, Wyo.

Manning, 14, remains in critical condition with head injuries at Poudre Valley Hospital.

“Critical’s the worst [Manning] could get besides death,” said Gary Kimsey, spokesman for PVH, “We’re just hoping for the best.”

Manning’s father, whom she lives with, was notified of his daughter’s whereabouts late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning in Cheyenne, said Rita Davis, spokeswoman for Fort Collins Police Services.

“He came down this morning and identified his daughter,” Davis said.

Manning’s father reported her missing or a runaway early Tuesday morning to Cheyenne Police Department after she did not return home Monday night after leaving in the afternoon with new friends, according to FCPS.

“She didn’t know them very well and (her father) didn’t either,” Davis said.

Witnesses said Manning was car surfing, standing up or kneeling on top of a moving vehicle, on the 600 block of Smith Street and fell off the vehicle, hitting her head on the pavement. The driver and a second passenger in the vehicle told onlookers to call 911 and then left the scene.

Police services received over 100 tips on the accident leading police to identify Manning after the extensive news coverage, Davis said.

Several of these tips also provided information concerning the license plate information of the vehicle suspected in the accident. The license plate was registered in Cheyenne and had been reported stolen on Aug. 27, 2004, according to a news release from FCPS.

As of right now there is no information of the whereabouts of the vehicle, although the police do have information on the original theft, said Lt. Robert Korber, a Cheyenne police officer.

“We don’t know who was driving the car at the time of the accident or who was in it at the time of the accident,” Davis said.

The drivers, if found responsible for the accident, could face charges ranging from leaving the scene of an accident to reckless driving or vehicular assault and other charges depending on what happens to the young woman, Davis said.

Police are continuing looking for the vehicle involved. It is described as a 2004 light green Buick Century with Wyoming license plate 2-MARK. Anyone with information about this accident or the vehicle should contact FCPS at 221-6540.