Authors: Sarah Fallik

For rock and metal lovers alike, CSU’s Live Life Late program is offering a special treat.

Local bands Ill Distortion, Fat Knuckle Jack and 8Om will play a free show from 8 to11 p.m. Friday on the west lawn of the Lory Student Center.

The event, sponsored by Lee Jeans will feature giveaways of jeans, backpacks and shirts.

“You can expect really awesome local music, a good time and free stuff,” said Anne Dea Fellini, Live Life Lates’ event coordinator. “It’s going to be a great time to meet new people who share similar music interests and possibly to experience a type of music that some students might not have really listened to before.”

Ill Distortion is a band that has strong ties to CSU. The six members met while playing hockey for CSU and officially became Ill Distortion about a year and a half ago. Drummer Jeremy Jennings characterized the music as “new melodic metal.” He said the band is closest in sound to early-years Rage Against the Machine because of the funk element the band incorporates into its music. Ill Distortion took the summer off to write and record music and has recently released a self-titled debut album. The members are just now beginning to play shows again. They will hit the road in October, to play four shows in Canada, two shows in San Diego and one in Michigan.

Matt Furlong, lead singer of Fat Knuckle Jack, characterizes the group’s sound as “straight rock n’ roll” and says that its music is most comparable to the sounds of Stone Temple Pilots and Foo Fighters. Fat Knuckle Jack has played venues all over Colorado and in Wyoming.

“People can expect original music and an energetic stage show,” Furlong said.

8Om is a Fort Collins/Loveland-based band that formed about two years ago. Guitarist Ross Edsall characterizes the band’s sound as “melodic rock meets post hardcore.” Bryan Kato, vocalist of 8Om, says the group’s sound is most comparable to Deftones, Blindside, A Perfect Circle or Finch. 8Om has released two albums. The first is a self-titled demo and the second is called “The Pink of Condition.” The latter is available on the band’s Web site or at Best Buy.

“The local scene is what the crowd makes it,” Kato said. “If not for the people, there can’t be a show.”

In addition to Fort Collins venues, 8Om has played shows in Denver, Dallas, New York, and the band is currently in the process of setting up a West Coast tour.

“We’d like everyone to check out our music, as well as the other bands,” Kato said. “Just support local music.”