Keep Coors in a can

Authors: Vincent Adams

Many know about Coors’ contributions to parties and drunken nights in Old Town, but Pete Coors is looking to live life on the other side of the keg and become a U.S. senator.

Pete Coors is the great grandson of the beer mogul, Adolph Coors, who started a company that has been very successful and given Colorado one of its best job resources.

I worked for Coors during the summer of 2001, and I fell in love with the culture and noticed how great the company treats its employees. Workers get great benefits and a decent starting salary of around $19 per hour for what are considered lower-end jobs – jobs such as working one of the many bottling and packaging machines.

There aren’t many companies that take care of its employees the way Coors does. The company also financially supports and encourages responsible drinking and recycling.

But Pete Coors for Senate? Coors should stick to beer, and on Nov. 2 voters should make sure Pete is more concerned about the recent merger with Molson than passing legislation.

I respect Pete for wanting to serve in our Senate, for it is a noble thing to do. But the man simply has nothing in his platform that is helpful for Coloradans. If you listen to him speak or have seen his commercials, you’ll notice he doesn’t explain his platform. Pete simply blurts out campaign slogans saying we need lower taxes and a stronger homeland defense. Yes, we know, Pete. How are you going to do that?

Hopefully, we will learn more details about Pete’s platform when he debates his opponent, Democrat Ken Salazar.

I recently took a journey through his Web site (http://www.petecoorsforsenate.com) and noticed no blurb about growth issues, something very important in Colorado. How do we manage growth? What are we to do with transportation? Do we build more highways, focus on public transportation or sit on our thumbs and hope it all works out?

More, the only educational issue Coors tackles in his platform is school accountability. That sounds like CSAP (Colorado Student Assessment Program) language. CSAP tests students and bases funding on the students’ scores, which is inherently flawed because schools that usually test low on CSAP are already struggling to teach students because of small budgets and large classrooms.

While a political novice, Pete has refined the art of mudslinging. During his primary campaign against former U.S. Rep. Bob Schaffer, Coors attacked Schaffer’s resume, saying he “padded” his resume. Shaffer served district four – the district serving Fort Collins – well and agreed to step down because he promised voters he would not seek a third term if elected.

Now, Coors is gleefully remaining silent on vicious attack ads blaming Salazar for doing nothing in light of one of Colorado’s worst environmental disasters when pollution from the Summitville mine leaked into the Alamosa River system in the 1980s.

A Virginia trade group funded the attack ad hoping to influence Colorado’s election because the winner of this Senate seat could decide which party controls the U.S. Senate.

Salazar had nothing to do with the disasters because he didn’t take over the Department of Natural Resources until 1990, well after the mine began operating, but Coors has not spoken out against this specific ad.

Apparently Coors hopes the attack ad resonates. Not cool, Pete.

Pete Coors is a good businessman, but he lacks the character, experience and platform to serve as a senator.

Vince Adams is a graduate student studying English. His column runs every Wednesday.