Cross Country gears up

Authors: Justin Shaw

It’s fall in Fort Collins and that means many things. School’s starting and our football and volleyball teams are getting their seasons started. However, did you know there are two teams that are annual Mountain West Conference contenders and were ranked among the nation’s best at the end of last year?

I’m speaking of the men’s and women’s cross country teams. Following a strong 2003 season the Rams are reloaded and ready to take a run at the MWC crown as well as going for national recognition.

The preseason MWC rankings have the CSU women rated second, while the men are positioned fourth. Last season the men’s team placed first in three of their seven meets and earned a 17th overall ranking at the NCAA Championships in Iowa.

Last year’s ladies finished first in two meets and had five top-five finishes; they ended the season 28th at the NCAA Championship.

Both teams are returning a wealth of talent this season and expectations should be high to improve on their second and third place finishes in the MWC last season. Runners Josh Glaab and Mike Nicks will lead the men, while Colleen Blair, Michelle Carman and Crystal Clark will pace the women’s team.

The Rams will open their seasons at the University of Wyoming on Sept. 3 and will have their first home meet Sept. 11.