Authors: Jennifer Johnson

For students looking to graduate from CSU on time, conflicting university requirements may delay the process.

Although CSU dropped its graduation requirements from 136 to 120 credits in 1997, some students feel required courses are unnecessary.

“I don’t know many people who graduate in four years,” said Rashell Tucker, a sophomore nutrition major. Tucker, a transfer student is frustrated with the idea of having to retake public speaking.

“CSU definitely needs to be more flexible with transfer credits,” she said.

However, Tucker feels the requirements are not unreasonable.

“I think the 60-credit math requirement is a good idea in order to get (math) out of the way,” Tucker said, adding that it will discourage students from procrastinating.

The 60-credit rule requires students to complete three credits of math and three credits of composition before they reach 60 total credit hours.

Audra Wubbena, a freshman human development and family studies major, had not heard about the 60-credit math requirement, but she also feels it is a good idea.

Wubbena likes CSU’s system and feels course requirements are helpful.

“CSU seems to make it easy to plan ahead,” she said.

Wubbena feels the only negative aspect to CSU’s curriculum is the difficulty students may have fitting certain classes into their schedules because state budget cuts have decreased the number of class sections available.

“Students just need the motivation to do it,” Wubbena said. “They should try to take 15 credits a semester or take summer classes to help them graduate on time.”

Mariah Emmert, a journalism graduate from CSU, feels it is difficult for students to follow the planned four-year layout because the curriculum varies.

“They change everything all the time,” Emmert said.

For students struggling with this issue, academic advisers and university counselors play an important role in helping students figure out what classes they need.

“We are committed to helping students graduate on time,” said Molly Eckman, an associate professor of design, merchandising and consumer sciences. “As long as students follow the check sheet available to them through the department, students are sure to graduate within four years.”

Paige Weaver, an academic adviser at the Center for Advising and Student Achievement, believes all the courses required at CSU are necessary.

“I value a well-rounded education,” Weaver said.

Although she understands many of the requirements may be frustrating to students who “want to get in and get out,” Weaver believes the classes are helpful and important to students’ futures.

Weaver feels graduation delays are more of a student issue.

Factors such as changing majors, waiting too long to choose a major, failing to take 15 credits a semester and using the repeat/delete option for classes may affect the time it takes to graduate.

“It is rare that class availability affects graduation time,” Weaver said. “Professors are pretty good about allowing overrides to juniors and seniors.”

If anything, Weaver suggests open-option students choose a major as soon as possible.

“The longer a student delays, the longer they will be in school,” she said.

Photo Idea:

1. Photo of student studying (submitted)

2. Quote box

Sources: Jennifer 719-964-7701

Raschelle Tucker shelly@getpsycho.com

Audra Wubbena awubbena@simla.colostate.edu

Mariah Emmert 214-4026

Molly Eckman 491-6715

Paige Weaver 491-7095