Authors: Sara Bahnson

From regional students from Aurora to exchange students from Australia, CSU was the choice institution for incoming freshmen.

Students cite a variety of campus activities and the mountainous terrain as some of the most appealing perks at CSU.

College should be “more than just selecting a major and earning a degree,” explains a CSU website aimed at future students. The large number of academic programs, available hands-on experience and internships, and community outreach opportunities are some of the advantages to CSU that the website identifies.

With a student body of approximately 25,000, Campus Activities works hard to make the campus seem like a close-knit community, a perk recognized by many students.

“The campus activity seems vibrant,” said Laurie Mockingbird, an exchange student from Australia.

Over 300 student organizations are available to students, which range from very specific academic organizations to club sports.

“We can find something for most people on campus,” said Pam Sampson, assistant director of Campus Activities. “If they can’t find one (a student organization), we can help them make it happen.”

Sampson noted that students who get involved in one of the numerous student organizations at CSU often get better grades and avoid destructive behavior.

Location remains the top reason incoming freshmen from across the United States chose CSU. The distance just far enough away from his hometown made CSU the perfect choice for Ben Hostetler, a freshman civil engineering student from Buffalo, Wyo. Hostetler was also excited about living in Fort Collins.

“The town feels really small and homey,” said Shaye Gerrity, a freshman microbiology major. The VetStart veterinary program, one of CSU’s many outreach programs, was also something that appealed to Gerrity.

International students from 89 foreign countries as far as Japan and Australia come to CSU to gain experience.

“The top three reasons international students choose CSU are the top quality academic programs, the warm, welcoming environment, and word of mouth from their home country,” said June Greist, university spokesperson.

A wide range of courses and a thorough curriculum enticed Australia native and second-year exchange student Gemima Cody to CSU. The local Rocky Mountains also fulfilled Cody’s desire for outdoor recreation.

From football games to the diversity of the Lory Student Center, international and local students can have a well-rounded college experience at CSU.