Authors: Clarke Reader

While concern over getting a ticket on a car is a common aspect of life at CSU, concern about getting a ticket for a bike is one that is far more unknown.

With biking being the number one mode of transportation on campus, bike offenses are frequent, said Kristin Leloup, supervisor of the Bike Education Program at CSU.

“The most common offenses that students commit with their bikes are riding in a dismount zone, failure to stop at a stop sign and riding the wrong way in a one way road,” Leloup said.

The general cost for a violation is about $15, which can quickly add up if the situation is not resolved, Leloup said.

Many of the violations associated with bikes can be avoided by purchasing a bike permit for $5 at the CSU Police Department in Green Hall.

“The most important thing you can do to avoid problems is buying a permit right away,” Leloup said.

There are many rules and regulations concerning bikes, including the rules about lighting when riding at night and restricting areas students are allowed to ride.

It is against campus regulations for bikes to go faster than 20 mph at any time, and bicyclists must obey the pedestrian right-of-way laws. Detailed and updated Bike rules can be found in pamphlets at Green Hall.

The violations for which a student will be ticketed are also in the pamphlet. In addition to riding in a dismount zone, common violations include failure to yield right-of-way and failure to signal.

Clinging to a moving vehicle is also an offense that could earn a student a ticket.

“There are no specific officers who write tickets for biking violations,” said Joy Vukodinovich, second supervisor of the Bike Education Program. “The CSOs (Campus Safety Officers) can’t write tickets, but any of the PSOs (Public Safety Officers) can.”

Despite the few hoops that must be hurdled before it is okay to have a bike on campus, most students find a bike worth the trouble.

“It’s way worth it to have a bike,” said Jason Michael, a junior majoring in finance.

Michael is just one of the many students who find the registering bikes worth it. Vukodinovich estimates that nearly 700 students register bikes every year.

“The best advice I have for new students to CSU with bikes is just to keep your eyes open and pay attention to the signs,” Leloup said.

Picture – Someone riding a bike, locking their bike to a bike rack or possibly a biker talking to a police officer (already turned in a photo request sheet)

Purchases permit at Green Building

Will have a big tent for orientation

Permits cost $5

Need make, model and serial number of bike

Number of Bicycle Education and Enforcement (BEEP) 491-7695