Authors: Katrice Thomas

Moby Arena was ablaze this weekend as the Rams’ volleyball team scorched the competition.

The Rams swept both UNLV and San Diego State over the weekend to improve their conference-leading record to 4-0 and season record to 15-4.

Friday night the UNLV came to town, but the Rebels showed up without a cause and were no match for the Rams. Led by sophomore outside hitter Casey Bauer and her 13 kills, the Rams swept UNLV (6-7) 30-23, 30-26 and 30-19 to put the Rebels down 0-2 in the Mountain West.

“Casey was tremendous and did a lot of really good things for us tonight,” said head coach Tom Hilbert.

Junior outside hitter Becky Sarauer was also big for the Rams, tallying 12 kills of her own and sophomore right side hitter Dre Downs led the team with a .389 hitting percentage.

“This was an unusual match for us,” Hilbert said. “But the players stepped up when we needed them to.”

The Rams hit just .164 for the match, but held the Rebels at .000 and the Rams had 14 blocks compared to 11 for UNLV.

SDSU was also in action Friday against the University of Wyoming. The Aztecs were swept by the Cowgirls, and headed to Moby Saturday in hopes of regaining their pride. But the Rams were just too hot, and they melted away any hopes of SDSU having a chance early by burning five straight points to open Game 1.

“We knew that we were going to have to come out with high energy,” said sophomore hitter Tess Rodgers who led the Rams with 16 kills.

That energy was enough to singe SDSU and their pride as the Rams won easily 30-19, 30-27 and 30-21 to drop the Aztecs’ MWC record to 1-2 and overall record to 9-8.

“The win is for the taking,” Sarauer said. “We want to prove ourselves, that we are winners, and that we will win.”

Sarauer’s words matched her play as she tallied 14 kills and helped the Rams win the match in style while remaining atop the MWC.

“We knew that this was going to be a tough game,” Rodgers said. “We just didn’t let them do what they wanted to.”

Even though SDSU’s senior middle blocker Aspen McPartland tried to get her team to step it up in Game 3, the chants of ‘let’s do this’ and her team-high13 kills weren’t quite enough.

The Rams are off to a blistering start this year, and Hilbert encourages all to come out and watch as this team’s success spreads like fire.

“This team is playing as well as any team I’ve ever coached and are fun to watch,” Hilbert said. “These kids are just bringing it.”

Fans have their chance to watch the Rams ‘bring it’ against Wyoming (12-6, 2-2) Friday night in Laramie, Wyo.