Authors: Luke Cornish

Return specialist and defensive back Dexter Wynn took control of Saturday’s football game and gave the Rams some great field position. The field position was key to securing the victory over Fresno State 34-10.

“We didn’t want him to have any fair catches,” CSU head coach Sonny Lubick said of Wynn. “We wanted him to take some risks and he did a great job.”

Wynn returned four punts for 64 yards, two kickoffs for 56 yards and one interception for six yards. He also recorded a sack. The field position gained from big plays on special teams allowed the offense to move the ball easily and, more importantly, gave the crowd an energy that the team could feed off.

“Big returns are key to football,” senior quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt said after the game. “It’s a momentum swing; suddenly the crowd is loud and we get all pumped up on the field.”

Whatever fueled the Rams Saturday afternoon, it was powerful enough to allow them to roll over the Bulldogs with relative ease. This is a huge feat, one that Wynn has never before experienced. The Rams are now 1-3 against Fresno State in Wynn’s career.

“I haven’t beat Fresno since I’ve been at school here, it feels great,” Wynn said.

After the game, recognition of Wynn’s performance came from both sides of the field. Fresno State head coach, Pat Hill, and special teams coach, John Baxter, congratulated him as they walked off the field.

“The special teams coach came up to me after the game and told me he was scared every time I touched the ball,” Wynn said. “I was getting tired of missed opportunities. Every time I get the ball I try to make the big plays.”

Wynn made the big plays returning the ball, while also helping to shut down the Bulldogs 2001 All-American wide receiver, senior Bernard Barrian, proving he remains a defensive leader.

Wynn intercepted the ball with 5:04 to play in the game and guaranteed the victory for the Rams who move to 3-3 on the season. He also got a rare sack on Fresno State’s sophomore quarterback Paul Pinegar in the fourth quarter.

“It felt great,” Wynn said. “A sack feels as good as a pick; I just love contributing on defense.”

Wynn will need to bring the same game as the Rams travel to Provo, Utah, Thursday to take on the BYU Cougars. If Wynn continues to contribute great field position for Van Pelt’s offense, the Rams will be able to work on improving their 0-1 conference record.