To the Editor:

Even though I often disagree with some of the views expressed by the columnist in The Collegian, I unusually read them to get a sense of how others think. But Wednesday’s column by Johnathan Kastner, “Machines determining guilt” was just sad. Like a kid with his had in the cookie jar, his only regret seems to be that he got caught.

Barring an emergency situation, there is never any reason to run a red light. The minor inconvenience of waiting a few extra seconds for the light to turn green is nothing compared with the danger of causing an accident by disobeying the law.

His assertion that ‘the machines are taking over’ is also greatly misplaced. The purpose of those traffic cameras is to catch drivers breaking the law, while at the same time freeing up police officers to deal with more dire situations. To complain that is it ‘unfair’ when one is punished for doing something wrong is childish and wholly lacking in taking responsibility for ones actions; a problem that is becoming endemic among many in our culture.

Sara Farb

Sophomore, open option

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is in response to the misinformed article by The Collegian’s editors (Our View, Sept. 25). In their article they state that vendors would not work on campus because of food safety issues, “The university and/or center must supervise all food served on campus.” I have noticed breakfast burritos made by Consuelo’s Mexican restaurant that are sold in the student center (Consuelo’s is definitely not on campus). Now, how is it that their food is monitored? What is more, you cannot hide behind food safety after I have eaten at the dorms. Don’t lie to me.

In response to fair business practices, a vendor does not need a spot in the student center, just a parking spot. Mr. Router has stated that one parking spot could generate around $40,000 to $50,000. And, we do need money, don’t we? The greatest argument of all was the ridiculous statement, “According to Ellis, in his four years not one student has approached him about wanting a burrito, fajita or taco cart on campus.” All I have to say to that is, in their four years on campus how many people know that Mike Ellis exists. Besides, Mr. Ellis, you just found someone who would like some good finger food on the go without a line. You say there is no student demand; I’m one student saying there is. Now it’s in your ballpark, Mr. Ellis, to listen to your paying customer, the student, and tell us how to show you we want this service.

Jake With

Junior, sociology