Readings Around the Region

Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

Walking through campus, sophomore psychology major Grace L’Orange takes notice of the multiple postings of concerts and advertisements everywhere. With a shrug of the shoulders and a sigh, she continues on.

“I look for concerts … but it would be nice if other forms of art or entertainment were presented,” L’Orange said.

There are many venues within the front-range region that provide poetry, fiction and non-fiction readings by established and up-and-coming artists, including the Writing Series hosted by the English department and the Hatton Gallery.

“Seeing the live-arts are memorable,” L’Orange said. “I only wish I could be more aware of what’s going on.”

The English department continually notifies the students within the department of upcoming presentations, a service that some students not in that department wish they had.

“I feel that every person in every major should have the opportunity to expand their mind,” said Kristin Miller, a freshman open option major. “They should be able to think critically about humanity-type issues, for it deals with them too … I have yet to hear of any readings or presentations.”

Students within the English department are regularly notified of coming events and are encouraged to soak up as much oral literature as they possibly can.

“People are incredibly excited about poetry, they just don’t know it,” said Laura Mullen, associate professor and poet. “They go buy rap and hip-hop records – that’s poetry. Poetry is truth and people know that the truth is important, but they don’t always want to hear it.”

Mullen, along with a fellow poet and professor, Matthew Cooperman, will be reading at the University of Denver today.

Interested students can inquire at the English department for further details concerning upcoming readings.