It is a tumor

Authors: Kyle Endres

What do you get when you put together a state senator, a billboard queen, a former child actor, a pornography publisher, a former bodybuilder/actor and an adult film star?

I don’t know, but it sounds like a great movie.

Unfortunately, it’s no movie. It’s politics, but it sounds like the next Hollywood blockbuster.

The California Gov. Gray Davis recall election, or “circus” as it will be referred to from now on, is the next installment in a string of ridiculous political episodes. One hundred thirty five candidates will be contending for the governor position, including such heavy-hitting political figures as Gary “Webster” Coleman, Arnold “The Terminator” Schwarzenegger and Larry “Hustler” Flynt. Various attorneys, businesspersons and even a used car dealer will also be contending for the position when the circus concludes on Oct. 7.

At least the circus is almost done, thanks to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit reversing its former decision that would have postponed the election. The court had formerly ruled that the election should be postponed because there is a chance the punch-card voting machines in several counties could malfunction.

Did we not learn anything from the 2000 Presidential Election?

The last thing that state to the west needs is to prolong this circus. The court changing its mind may be the first intelligent decision to come out of this mess. Even starting circus itself could turn out to be a dumb move for the people who organized it.

The Republicans, who really pushed for the circus, have a chance of losing this election even if Davis is recalled because they can’t seem to find a dominant candidate. Schwarzenegger and Sen. Tom McClintock are close in the polls to lead the Republican vote, which could split the vote and give the Democrats an edge.

“Schwarzenegger I think really wants to run and I think he has a good chance,” said Bradley Macdonald, associate professor in the political science department.

Macdonald said he thinks McClintock doesn’t want to leave the race because he represents the far right wing of the party, whereas Schwarzenegger is more moderate.

Something needs to give. The party can’t expect to split the majority of its votes and still benefit from orchestrating this circus. Somebody needs to take one for the team, or Davis or Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante will take the spot.

Somebody give me some organization, please.

This whole circus might just completely backfire on the Republicans. California Rep. Darrell Issa, a Republican who contributed $1.7 million to the recall effort, recently said in a New York Times article that Bustamonte holding the gubernatorial seat would be even worse than keeping Davis. He said some Republicans might even consider voting against the recall. Maybe they should have thought that through before they initiated this circus and dragged the state through all this hullabaloo.

But this is not to say the Democrats haven’t done their share of stupid things, too.

Davis decided to bring out Bill Clinton, of all people, to help him campaign to keep his job. Bill Clinton? Are you kidding me? That’s like bringing the class troublemaker to help you appeal for a better grade in your elementary school math class. I would hope that Davis doesn’t think the California public, 53 percent of which favors the recall, according to a recent poll, has just completely forgotten about the fiasco that was Clinton’s presidency.

At least Davis brought Sen. Joseph Lieberman in to campaign with him. That brings a little credibility to his cause.

I don’t know. I guess I’m happy that I live in Colorado where we don’t have to deal with such insanity.

Is it too late for me to run for governor?