CSU’s traveling woman

Authors: Katrice Thomas

Remember going to Disneyland and getting to see Mickey, Donald, and Goofy? How about peering over the majestic Grand Canyon? Or getting on a roller coaster screaming at the top of your lungs, and then getting off trying to pretend it wasn’t scary, and that you’re not going to puke. Traveling can be overwhelming, exciting, relaxing and just good old plain fun. Things that were once pictures in books and magazines become exhilarating experiences, and life long memories. Now imagine traveling to another country alone, leaving behind family, friends, and everything that has become second nature. Not only can this be exhilarating but a little intimidating. However on Sept. 19, 2001, Bri Frech decided to take on that challenge and made her way to America from Germany.

“There is nothing really hard about being so far away from home anymore,” Frech said. “I haven’t been home in forever, and I have adapted.” Home for Frech is Eschwege, Germany. That’s more miles than anyone would like to count away, but it’s not a trip that Frech makes often.

“I usually go home every summer, and Christmas when I have enough money,” she said. “I stayed with some friends for Christmas last year, but it was my first time celebrating it in this culture and without my family. It just didn’t feel like Christmas.” One of the things that Frech has enjoyed is being at CSU. Frech choose Colorado State because she felt as if it was a perfect fit for her.

“I knew,” she said. “CSU has a good academic program, good coaches, good athletic program, and when I came out here to visit it just felt right.” Her coaches and teammates agree. CSU does have a good coaches, good academics and athletic programs, and Bri fits the volleyball program just right.

“It was late in the recruiting process,” said head coach Tom Hilbert. “Some things didn’t work out with the school that she was looking into and a kid backed out on us, so we were both scrambling.” Even with the unfortunate circumstances, the situation worked out well for both Bri and the Rams volleyball team.

“We were looking for someone who had game experience, knew the game and could step in right away,” Hilbert said. Frech, fortunately for the Rams had both the experience and the talent to step in and be a huge factor. Aside from the game of volleyball, Frech’s teammates have come to know and love their new friend.

“I love Bri,” said teammate Tess Rodgers, “I love her sense of humor, she is just hilarious.” The German native knows when to have fun and when to be serious.

“Bri is funny, intelligent, mature, and very serious about school,” Hilbert said.

“I think that it would be very hard to be so far away from home,” said Rodgers, “I think that she is very courageous.”

However all things must come to an end, especially when it comes to traveling. As Frech would say in her native language, “Tschuss,” which means bye. She once said bye to her friends and family to start a new journey in the United States, and she will have to say bye again when she decides to go back home from her travels.

“I miss my family, friends and my Mom’s cooking,” said Frech, “When I came I didn’t have any specific expectations, so when I got here nothing really surprised me, it was all just nice. And the people here took real good care of me.”

Lucky for the Rams, coaches and her teammates, Frech won’t have to say tschuss anytime soon.