Authors: Olivia Latham

Aaron Vammer, a third-grader from Bauder Elementary School, did not know much about farming and agriculture until Wednesday, when CSU’s Ag Adventure came to teach him.

Students representing more than five CSU clubs and organizations taught more than 750 third graders from 10 elementary schools in the Poudre School District about agriculture.

“I liked it because I learned a lot about farming,” Vammer said.

Ag Adventure is a student- run and organized program. Children started attending the program in 2001. The adventure took place at the Colorado State Agricultural Research and Development Education Center, 10 miles northeast of Fort Collins.

“I would have loved to have had an opportunity like this when I was younger,” said junior Nick McNamee, the CSU Turf Club president.

School buses started arriving at 9:30 a.m. There were six different stations for the children to visit and the kids were able to get a hands-on learning experience. At these stations the children learned about what agriculture involves and provides. For example, they learned about fruit, grains, soil, water and turf.

“The fact that we’re educating third graders about agriculture and how its diversity affects their lives is what interested me in this program,” said junior Nick Colglazier, a soil and crop science major and public relations director for Ag Adventure.

The children spent 20 minutes at each station with multiple CSU students from various clubs teaching them about the importance of agriculture.

“For me it’s amazing to see how much the kids don’t know about agriculture and to be able to teach them about it,” said sophomore Kathryn Brim, an equine science major and a agricultural ambassador for the College of Agriculture.

The children were also able to go on hay-bale rides.

“It’s awesome, the kids are great,” Brim said.

Not only did Ag Adventure allow the kids to experience real life examples of agriculture, but also how to apply it to their daily lives.

“It’s really cool to have third graders get a hands-on experience and participate in this program,” McNamee said.

Marshall Frasier, an agriculture and resource economics associate professor and adviser to Ag Adventure, believes that the efforts Ag Adventure is making to help elementary students and the community are good on more than one level.

“I think that it is good on a two-prong approach. It’s an opportunity for us to give back to the community at CSU and offers a chance for students to use the skills they learn in school,” Frasier said. “The other aspect is that (Ag Adventure) gives students a chance to understand where their food comes from.”