To the Editor:

Saturday afternoon, I found myself in the student section watching the embarrassing loss of our football team. Later I watched a more embarrassing sight unfold within the student body – a mass exodus of the students (and many other fans) from the stadium during the game.

Yes, Miami of Ohio had a commanding lead, but what’s so wrong with standing by your team? So many students claim to be true fans, but how many of those “true fans” left the game? How many of those “true fans” sat down? So many only stick around when we’re winning, as I noticed at the Weber State game, but true fans aren’t (or shouldn’t be) just fair weather fans. An article earlier this semester talked of the student body needing to develop traditions around the games. How can we even talk of creating traditions when people don’t even stay to support the team when they need it?

When we can start the tradition of staying through the losses, and keep on our feet cheering the team on in times of defeat, then we can discuss new traditions. Instead of leaving the game early, and drowning our sorrows in beer, stay and support the team. Stay standing, keep cheering…make that a tradition. GO RAMS!

Sarah Steaffens

Junior, psychology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I just finished reading “Straining out the ugly American” by Shannon Baldwin (Sept. 22) and I must admit that I agree with her on many points. However, I would like to point out her criticism of the New York Times is unjustified. Perhaps this article of an American soldier killing a Bengal tiger did not receive much attention in the Times, but how many people actually read the Times daily? I think the real question should be was it mentioned in The Coloradoan or in The Collegian? If you really want to criticize a newspaper take a look at The Collegian headlines: Helping cut the costs: Student Financial Services assists with grants aid, Fort Collins driver provides safe rides, Carpool passes not new, Skydiving creates ‘natural high’.

Why doesn’t The Collegian offer more news, such as the Bengal tiger story, instead of telling me that financial aid will help with the costs of tuition, or a taxi will drive me home safely, or that I can carpool, or I might feel ‘high’ if I jump out of an airplane? After all, what is the difference if a free press system has the right (to be critical) but doesn’t use it?

If you want us to be informed on current events then inform us; you are the free press.

Jeffery Malcolm

Second bachelor’s student, French