To the Editor:

I have a very aggravating concern for safety here on campus. I am one of the hundreds of students who use the crosswalk between campus and Rams Book Store that crosses Laurel Street. Due to the high-velocity of traffic, rude drivers and lack of a crossing signal, I can count on almost being struck by a car on a daily basis.

During peak traffic times, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. it is impossible to cross at the marked crosswalk. Without the crossing signal, pedestrians are forced to jump into the street and hope that the drivers of the vehicles know the law. I have seen drivers speed up; I have seen drivers fail to stop, while you are inches from their car. Not only is the lack of respect for pedestrians an issue, but the large number of students are forced to get more aggressive, just to cross the street.

I have the right to safety cross the street, I have rights as a pedestrian not to risk my life for lunch at the Pickle Barrel. We all have the right that drivers might respect the white lines painted on the payment.

I have written this in hopes that other students will demand that CSU and the City of Fort Collins to take action.

Ronnie Chamberlain

Senior, Theatre

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Friday morning I read an article entitled, “The struggle of today’s white, middle-class conservative male.” Initially I was pleased that someone in journalism was going to be a voice for the silent majority. Instead I received a sobering slap in the face by the heavy hand of the proverbial liberal woman.

I understand that females and minorities have been discriminated against. I understand that it was wrong and I fully support laws that reinforce equality. What I don’t understand is how giving preference to an individual based on their race or gender demonstrates equality. Isn’t that the very problem that instigated affirmative action and suffrage laws? So why are we retrogressing?

Marika, you cheer diversity, demand equality and proclaim suppression. You do this with the justification that you’re striving for what’s fair. When will you learn that you can’t expect equality when either side of the scale is tipped? If there are continued sanctions requiring the percentages of a certain group to be included in any field the scales continue to weigh unjustly and bias prevails.

My proposition is that the demand of equality be met with equal treatment in every aspect. There’s no need for disclosing one’s race or gender on an application of any kind. All positions should be considered on terms of merit. Consequences could be seen as negative initially for those receiving race or gender based funds and or admissions. The outcome would be a society where individuals held their positions solely on their credentials. That’s fair.

Shawn Garner

Junior, political science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Skimming the “Academic Freedom” law proposed by Gov. Bill Owens and State Senate President John Andrews, R-Centennial, I noticed the key provision that college reading-lists would be inspected for inclusion of right-wing ideas.

I once had the perfect social philosophy courses for this innovation: back when students could read, I assigned readings on LIBERTY, FEDERALIST PAPERS, Adam Smith, Frederick Hayek, Milton Friedman, Chas. Lindblom and Ayn Rand.

However, arguments for free enterprise are quite complex, and need sophisticated comprehension. A new problem has arisen, now that college students can’t and won’t read complex texts.

I’ve got it! We’ll assign right-wing comic books.

Dan Lyons

Fort Collins resident

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This is my response to Jacob Ouellette’s article, “Where is my minority support?”

For years people have fought for representation. It is interesting that when people find this representation (in other words the majority) they find room for complaints.

Minority groups on campus such as African-Americans, Latinos, Native-American and Asian-American students among many others have groups to represent them because there are very few of them on campus.

Why does the majority, better yet, a race and gender who have dominated the world feel the need to be represented when they control everything?

I also find it interesting that people refer to minorities when the phrase “affirmative action” is mentioned. Little do many know that it also defends the “non-religious, non-political Caucasian males who do not have drug problems and find Greek Life distasteful” and people with disabilities.

“We are all college students here; we go to the same classes, we pay the same bills, we eat the same Ramen but at the end of the day, the only thing that separates me from you” is your voice alone heard louder than my support group!

Tiesha Lampkin

Sophomore, open option seeking business