Authors: James Baetke

In an event sponsored by a local fraternity, Fort Collins Mayor Ray Martinez presented CSU with a proclamation that states every Sept. 11 will be known as Patriot Day.

“What doesn’t destroy us will make us stronger,” Martinez said, speaking to a small crowd on the Lory Student Center Plaza, referring to the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Martinez told his on-lookers to remain strong, to keep encouraging others and to always remember the day New York City was under attack.

Each Patriot Day a moment of silence is to be held at 8:46 a.m., the moment the first World Trade Center tower was struck and flags are to be flown at half-mast, Martinez said of the proclamation.

Martinez said Patriot Day is a day of acknowledgment and a call for citizens to act patriotically in remembering those injured or killed on Sept. 11, 2001 as heroes.

Members of Pi Kappa Alpha organized the speech and accepted the proclamation on behalf of their fraternity and CSU. Martinez praised the fraternity for organizing the event and said he would never have spoke today if it were not for them, calling them the “leaders we need in society.”

Senior Jackie Polis was there to hear Martinez’s speech.

“Today isn’t just about Americans and their tragedies. Today is about America’s relationship with the rest of the world,” said Polis, an art major.

Fort Collins does have measures in place to protect from any terrorist or related attack, and the city is “very safe,” Martinez said.

“As far as Homeland Security, we are far advanced compared to other communities,” Martinez said.

As the Colorado and United States flags blew in the wind on either side of the mayor’s podium, Martinez concluded his remarks by emphasizing the encouragement of others and that no one who lived to see the Sept. 11 tragedy would forget what happened.