To the Editor:

I appreciate that you want to open the eyes of CSU students to bitter realities — realities like “Accident leaves one dead” in the Monday, Sept. 8, issue. I appreciate that you want to teach a valuable and life-saving lesson by showing the readers the brutal consequences of not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle.

I believe that it should be a law to wear a helmet in every state. But, in relaying this message and teaching this lesson, do you have no respect for the family, friends, co-workers and associates of Shawn McCarty? You could have told the story and given a picture that did not include the body. The only thing you did by displaying Shawn’s body on page 3, uncovered and disrespected, was continuing the injustice served to this man.

In your article two onlookers were quoted about the inhumane treatment of Mr. McCarty. Why must you continue the treatment by showing us a picture? Please print an apology to the family and friends of Shawn McCarty and the disrespect that you showed.

If the Rocky Mountain Collegian is truly a platform to “provide skill development opportunity for staff (students of CSU)” as your mission statement claims, then PLEASE develop them with some integrity and compassion.

Thank you for listening to your readers.

Rebecca Alvarez

Senior, natural resource recreation and tourism

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In reply to Jesse McLain’s article, “More Representation,” I am going to leave aside the question of legality in asking an applicant’s political affiliation, and if the real question involves the professor’s ability to reflect both points of view in lectures and reading assignments.

Instead I would like to point out that I am a student at a university. How influenced am I going to be by a professor’s political bias? I like to think that I am capable of making my own opinions. I like to say that when I am confronted with a problem I do not solve that problem by asking myself “Gee, what would my professors do?”

I am insulted by those who feel that if I had a Republican professor I would be more conservative, or Democrat, more liberal. And what then is the university if every student adopts the opinions of their professors? Are we merely part of an “educational assembly line” set out to promote the interests of those in power, or in this case our professors? I hope not.

Joe Dinnetz

Senior Political Science Major

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Shame on you, Collegian. You passed up a redeeming opportunity to show some respect when you printed an article about Shawn McCarthy’s death, but then chose to print the horrible picture portraying the very topic the article was complaining about. How awful for all who know Shawn to know he was lying dead in the street for hours, so everyone who drove by could see. But to me it’s infinitely worse knowing The Collegian chose to glorify it for 26,000 students.

Monique Pawlowski

Junior, creative writing

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing in regards to the photograph that accompanied Monday’s story “Accident leaves one dead.” I am extremely appalled by the picture of Shawn McCarty lying dead on the side of the road.

Not only is it unethical to print a photograph of a dead human being, it is unnecessary. What, if anything, was the point or need of running this picture? I know that some journalists would argue that it is to prove that motorcycles are dangerous or that helmets should be worn at all times. Honestly though, most motorcyclists know the perils of riding and if they were concerned they would wear a helmet.

I am a technical journalism major and know that more than half of the true newspapers in this country have a policy against running photos of dead bodies.

The author of this article quoted an onlooker who said that he couldn’t believe how long they let the body lay there and that if he were a family member he’d be madder than hell. Enough people had to witness this unfortunate young man lay there dead on Saturday, why smear the grief to over 25,000 college students?

I believe that the judgment of The Collegian was completely flawed in running this photograph and has caused me, as well as many other people, to lose all respect and credibility in your paper. A word of advice, there is a class offered by the journalism department called Media Ethics. Maybe the supervisors of the Collegian should consider making it a required course for those hired on to report the news to our campus!

Amy Rizer

Senior, technical journalism