Dreyer undergoes surgery

Authors: Steve Latuda

The streak ends at 28.

CSU star center Mark Dreyer, who tore ligaments in his right wrist during the CU game, and played in pain throughout Saturday’s 23-21 victory over Cal-Berkeley, underwent surgery Tuesday morning to repair the damage done to his wrist, thus putting an end to his impressive streak of 28 consecutive starts.

” It was his decision,” head coach Sonny Lubick said. “He had to do what’s best for him.”

Coach Lubick said that the 6-foot-4-inch senior will be in a cast, and could possibly return in two to three weeks, but probably not to the center position. He will likely return as a guard.

Taking over the snapping duties will be 6-foot-1-inch sophomore weak side guard Albert Bimper.

Quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, when told about Dreyer’s situation, put his full confidence in his new center.

“Bimper is a capable center,” Van Pelt said. “Kids need to step up and play, that’s just life.”

With Bimper moving to center, coach Lubick hopes that Michael Brisiel, who started the opener against CU but was hampered by a sprained ankle and missed last week’s game against Cal, will be healthy enough to return in Bimper’s spot. If not coach Lubick will stick massive 6-foot-6-inch 356-pound senior Terrell Gardner in at guard.

While describing the possible moves that he could make on his offensive line, coach Lubick suddenly stopped and replied, “We are starting to run out of offensive linemen.”

Dreyer is currently on the Dave Rimington Award watch list given annually to the top center in College Football. The award is four years old and is growing in popularity.

Wynn update

Another injured Ram, cornerback and return specialist Dexter Wynn, who sat out the last three quarters Saturday with a deep thigh bruise is expected back this week in Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against Weber State.