Rams ready for rivalry

Authors: Joshua Pilkington

It may not be in Denver, it may not be met with throngs of media personnel, but it is CU all the same, and that means heightened interest for those involved.

The Lady Buffaloes of CU volleyball roll into Moby tonight for a 7 p.m. match against the Lady Rams in what should be another battle for CSU.

The Buffs (6-1) come into town following an impressive showing at the Denver University Invitational where they defeated all three opponents they faced including host Denver.

For their part the Lady Rams (4-2), are coming off a successful run of their own having won two of three at the Coors Classic in Moby over the weekend with the lone loss coming to the nationally-ranked California Golden Bears.

“We’ve been playing hard and coming together,” said junior middle blocker Bri Frech. “We are communicating and that is good.”

The Rams received a big boost – literally and otherwise – over the weekend with the reappearance of 6-foot-3 sophomore outside hitter Andreya Downs to the lineup.

“It feels good to be back out there playing and smiling again,” said Downs who had 20 kills over three games.

Having been tested in two difficult matches against PAC-10 foes Cal and Stanford, the Rams face another challenge in matching up against CU’s big trio of Nicole Carr, Monique Gerlach and Austin Zimmerman, all of who made the all-tournament team at the DU invitational.

The Rams will counter with their own strong lineup of outside hitters Tess Rogers, Becky Sarauer and Downs playing alongside middle blockers Frech and Katie Jo Shirley, setter Melissa Courtney and libero Lindsey Kerr.

The Rams also boast a depth advantage over the Buffs with sophomore outside hitter Casey Bauer, junior transfer Kimi Foytich and freshman setter Kristen Karlik making progress with each minute played.

Head coach Tom Hilbert said the match is pivotal, not just for state bragging rights, but a win could push the Rams in the right direction as they head to Manhattan, Kan., this weekend for the Kansas State Invitational and their first game action away from Moby in 2003.

Entrance to Moby is free for students with a valid student-ID, other tickets can be purchased at Moby Arena.