Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

Prominent sports figures are, for many of us, our modern day heroes. Idols that touch our lives and help us remember our childhoods with a smile. But what happens when our legends begin to fade? Do we simply forget and adapt to the new players replacing the retiring favorites?

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t like change. I remember being thrilled when the Broncos finally won “one for John.” Another Super Bowl later, and John was gone.

Like many Denver Broncos fans I was skeptical of this new quarterback. I was born in 1983, the same year the Elway Era began. I didn’t know any other way than Elway leading the Broncos. I never accepted Brian Griese as a replacement. I was a Bubby-backer and still wear my lucky No. 6 jersey on game day (how else did you think they won the last two weeks?).

When hockey great Patrick Roy retired this postseason, I taped the broadcast. I called it preserving a moment. My mom might call it obsessive.

The truth is I’m afraid. I’m 20 years old and the world of sports as I know it is collapsing with every retiring player. What will the Avalanche be like without Roy? Is Jake Plummer the true successor of Elway? In the past few years I noticed many of big sports names stepping down in favor of younger more unknown players.

Mark McGwire is not the St. Louis Cardinal player on everyone’s lips that would be superstar Albert Pujols.

Randy Johnson will go the way of Nolan Ryan.

Andy Roddick, who won his first Grand Slam in tennis over the weekend, is becoming more heard of than Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi.

I fear the day that Todd Helton of the Rockies calls it a career.

But on the horizon I see hope. Why else would I want to write about college sports if not to preview the future stars?

Stephanie is a junior majoring in journalism