Authors: Katrice Thomas

Some college kids has one thing on their mind when the weekend rolls around, where’s the party at? This past Saturday, it was at Moby Arena. There were people cheering, balls flying and aces being served, in a match up sure to knock anyone off their feet. The hostesses of the evening were the Lady Bears and Lady Rams volleyball teams.

“Cal brought a lot of competitiveness and a lot of strong players,” said outside hitter Becky Sarauer. “They will probably be in the top half of the PAC-10.” The PAC is arguably the toughest volleyball conference in the nation, with seven of the 10 teams ranked in the American Volleyball Championship Association’s top 25, including No. 4 Stanford and No. 1 USC. But rankings didn’t stop the Rams from getting the party started right. The first match of the evening was slow and the Rams couldn’t find their rhythm. But as the night matured, the Ladies showed their fans how the game of volleyball should be played.

Special entertainment came from Sarauer, Katie Jo Shirley and Andreya Downs, as they lead their team through three more grueling matches with a never-say-die attitude. When the party concluded, there was a slight hangover of disappointment in the air. After a few questionable calls against the Rams in pivotal game four, the Bears crept out of Moby with a victory.

“This was a very difficult one for us,” said Head Coach Tom Hilbert. “We had an opportunity to win, especially in game four.”

“Matches like this will only prepare us for tougher competition in the future,” Downs said. Aside from the loss the Lady Rams were more interested in the positive attributes that came from the game.

“The crowd was awesome, and I felt as if we came together, learned a lot about each other and what we’re capable of in these types of situations,” Downs said.

The glazed look of determination shone in each Rams eye Saturday night, and because of the spectacular effort, the ladies can now boast an impressive record of 4-2, both losses coming against top 25 teams (No. 4 Stanford and No. 22 Cal).

“I thought we played really well,” Sarauer said. Judging from the thunderous sound of the crowd of 1,375 Saturday night, the Rams fans were more than impressed.

For any true Ram fan that missed the action, the ladies will be hosting another thriller when in-state rival CU comes to town on Tuesday. That party begins at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena and is going to be out of this world.