Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

For the CSU women’s volleyball team it’s another weekend, another tournament and another nationally ranked team.

After playing No. 4 Stanford in last weekend’s University Park Holiday Inn Classic, CSU will face No. 22 University of California (2-0) in the Coors Classic at Moby Arena along with Seton Hall (4-0) and Cal State Northridge (1-1), Friday night and Saturday.

Junior libero Lindsey Kerr thinks last week’s tournament will help the team in these upcoming games.

“I think it’s good for us, having a tournament under our belt,” Kerr said.

Kerr also said the new players are already making an impact, including junior transfer Bri Frech, who in just her second match with the CSU team broke the five-game record for hitting percentage in the UPHI Classic.

“Bri really stepped up,” Kerr said.

CSU (2-1) will face former head coach Rich Feller when they play the Cal Golden Bears 7 p.m., Saturday night, the same day the football teams battle. Feller coached CSU from 1983 to 1996 leading the team to a 299-167 record and eight NCAA appearances, during that span.

CSU head coach, Tom Hilbert, said he has talked with Feller and is excited to see how the team measures up against the talk of the other Pac-10 teams.

“I’ve heard they’re a very physical team,” Hilbert said. “It’ll be interesting to see if it’s true. Every single position they’ve got a good block.”

Cal brings a winning streak of 11 regular season tournament matches, carrying over into last season and returns four starters including all-American junior outside hitter Mia Jerkov who leads the team with 5.33 kills a game.

Kerr said she is excited to play Cal.

“I look forward to Cal, being a top team,” Kerr said. “I like good competition.”

Seton Hall, a relatively young Big East team, features co-Big East Rookie of the Week, Katherine Whitney, who last week totaled 45 kills, 15 aces and 41 digs and was named to the all-Tournament team at the Western New York Tournament.

Whitney, a Boulder native, and sophomore Shawn Mahmoudi both tallied 12 kills in their match against Colgate last week.

Cal State Northridge is the first opponent for the Rams at 7 p.m. Friday night.

After defeating Northeastern, the Matadors lost three to St. Mary’s and will look to rebound on the road behind senior Jennifer Fopma who leads the team with 3.67 kills and 2.17 blocks per game.

Junior Jen Ryan leads the team with 3.17 digs per game and junior setter Nadine Nickel is hitting .500, with a team-best five aces.

“This one will be really tough for sure,” said junior Katie Jo Shirley, who needs just two more digs for the 700th of her career. “But then again I think every game will be tough.”