Kill Weekend Spending

Authors: Christiana Nelson

Chris Kennedy, a senior restaurant and resort management major, spends more than $100 every weekend on nature activities like mountain biking and fishing, but a CSU program may provide some monetary relief for students like Kennedy.

Live Life Late is a student committee that plans free late night weekend activities on the CSU campus. Marissa Weiss, a graduate student in student affairs and higher education, runs the program and said that she just wants to give students a different option for their weekend entertainment.

“Why shouldn’t the university provide some cool stuff for students to do?” Weiss said. “It is also a great option for people under 21, because there is really only so much for people under 21 to do.”

The idea of a free weekly event is appealing to Kennedy, who is spending a minimum of $5,200 a year on entertainment.

“I think (free campus events) would be good,” Kennedy said. “It depends on what it was, but if it was a free concert or something like that, I would attend. Only I don’t get off work until 11 p.m.”

Flexibility is another aspect of Live Life Late, which is undertaking a Friday night series of events for the fall semester and hopes that students will take advantage of the regular schedule. Events will be held in the Lory Student Center Commons and the Ramskeller unless otherwise noted and will run from 9 p.m.-1 a.m.

The first Friday of each month will feature bands, the second Friday will be open-mic and karaoke, the third Friday will be Live Trivia and the fourth Friday of the month will be a special event.

“The idea behind the regular schedule,” Weiss said, “is to help people plan for a social life.”

Mellanie Troxel, a junior zoology major, estimates that she spends $75 to $150 every weekend going out with friends and enjoying sushi dinners. She thinks that Live Life Late is a great idea for students.

“It would give students something to do,” Troxel said. “Fort Collins gets boring after awhile, you run out of things to do.”

The next Live Life Late event is tonight featuring local rock bands Patchwork Blue, Plan B and Thurman’s Ashes on the amphitheatre located on the west side of the student center.

Students are welcome at any events and can also become involved in organizing an event through the Live Life Late Student Committee, which meets Monday nights at 7 p.m. in the Student Activities Office.

Weiss hopes that students become involved and take advantage of the free events offered by Live Life Late.

“We want to give students another option on weekend nights,” Weiss said. “Hopefully we will have some fun.”