Authors: Lindsey Boudreau

Overall chapter excellence and outstanding achievement on campus is something the for which the CSU chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha can be known, according to a recent award bestowed upon the fraternity.

The fraternity competed against over 200 other chapters to win their national fraternity’s top honor, the Robert Adger Smythe Award. The award looked at each chapter’s grade point average, athletics, community service, campus involvement and alumni relations to determine which chapter deserved the award.

“Since we have won the Smythe Award, we have proved that we are one of the elite chapters in the country, not just at CSU,” said fraternity member Zack Dial, a senior resort management major.

Senior Patrick Ireland, treasurer for the fraternity and a business finance major, said it has been a rebuilding process for their fraternity since 1998, when they were put on probation.

“It’s nice to see all of our hard work pay off,” he said.

The fraternity was put on probation for a float that appeared in the CSU 1998 Homecoming Parade depicting a scarecrow with an anti-gay message on it. The fraternity was removed by the university in 1998 and then reinstated in 2000.

Although Pi Kappa Alpha is one of the only social fraternities on campus without a traditional house, their fraternity is the largest at CSU with over 130 members, and it has 100 percent outside involvement, meaning every member is involved in some club or activity at CSU other than their fraternity.

“Even though we don’t have a true house, we pulled it all together and won top national recognition,” said junior Jason Price, member and a natural resource major.

Along with winning the Smythe award four times before, Pi Kappa Alpha has received the Chapter of the Year award from CSU, several intramural championships and they were the 2002 Cans Around the Oval winners.

Ireland said that Pi Kappa Alpha could be seen as a model for other fraternities. And for those chapters competing for the Smythe award next year, Ireland said CSU’s chapter could be seen as competition.

“We will win another one next year,” he said.