Two college deans to retire

Authors: Kyle Endres

Two deans with a combined 20 years experience at their current positions will retire from the university within the next year.

Allen Dyer, dean of the College of Natural Resources, will retire at the end of December and Nancy Hartley, dean of the College of Applied Human Sciences, will retire next year.

“I had a great run here,” Dyer said. “(I’ve) sort of reached that point in my career where I want to try something else.”

Hartley could not be reached for comment before press time.

“They have both provided simply outstanding leadership for their colleges,” said Provost/Academic Vice President Peter Nicholls. “This has been a period when CSU has seen some turnover in senior leadership. They have helped to provide stability and academic leadership.”

Dyer became dean of the College of Natural Resources in 1992 and was also interim provost from spring 2001 to 2002. He said he plans to be in transitional retirement for two to three years and would like to come back to CSU to teach after that. He would like to spend more time with his family during the break.

“This university has been my life for a long time,” he said.

Hartley became dean of the College of Applied Human Sciences in 1994.

The retirement plans come during a year in which CSU has seen several campus leaders step down from their posts. Former President Albert C. Yates, General Counsel Brian Snow, Athletic Director Jeff Hathaway, CSU Police Department Chief Donn Hopkins and College of Liberal Arts Dean Robert Hoffert have all moved on to different pursuits in the past year.

Nicholls said that because Dyer’s retirement will occur halfway through the school year, the university will employ an interim dean to work through the spring semester. A permanent dean will then be hired after a national search is conducted, although it is possible the new dean could be hired from within the university.

“The important thing is you need to look at a national pool of candidates if you can to be sure you are getting the best available talent for consideration,” Nicholls said.

Nicholls said he would like to have a search committee formed and nationwide search started for Hartley’s replacement within a month.

“In a sense, it’s difficult for the university to see these very, very good people go,” he said. “They’ve served the university well and they have worked to help me in my adjustment to the university. So for me they’ve been very good friends and colleagues. I’m sorry to see them go.”

Box info

Dyer

Raised research expenditures from $10 million to $34 million annually

Created the Environment and Natural Resources Policy Institute, the Integrated

Resources Management Program and an interdisciplinary environmental studies open option degree

Enhanced facilities and college infrastructure with state-of-the-art computer and research

labs

Hartley

Increase in external awards by 109 percent over past five years

2003 top 10 ranking for vocational/technical education program by U.S. News and World

Report

Created professional development schools with Poudre School District

Source: CSU Media Relations