Special Teams Synopses

Authors: Luke Cornish, Joelle Milholm

KR/PR – Return specialist Dexter Wynn will return CU’s punts and kickoffs and is one of the Rams’ most explosive players. He was named to the Mountain West first team all-conference the last two years and was ranked fifth nationally as a punt returner. He averaged 79.5 yards per game, 16.2 yards per punt and 22.3 per kick. Returning kicks and punts Wynn can jumpstart the offense and make it easier for CSU to score. The only problem may be that Wynn will be returning kicks and punts, playing defensive back and playing a few downs as wide receiver. His endurance will have to hold up.

K/P – If the Rams can’t convert third downs inside the 45-yard line, there is a good chance field goal kicker Jeff Babcock will still be able to put three points on the board. He set a school record with 24 field goals last year and also made 75 percent. He missed a few kicks against Colorado last year, but now has more experience and revenge on his side. Babcock is in charge of all of the kicking duties but could be rusty on punts, not having done it since high school. Right now he is in front of freshman Jim Kaylor, who has a good foot, but might buckle under the pressure of playing his first game in front of 75,000.

Last year Colorado punt returner Jeremy Bloom returned a punt 75 yards for a touchdown against CSU. With Blooms decision to stay with the Buffs another year, the Rams will have to stop him from putting CU in good field position or from making it all the way down the field.

Coach synopsis

Sonny Lubick is arguably one of the best coaches in college football. After taking over a struggling team in 1993, Lubick has built a nationally respected program by getting the best out of his players. His accomplishments were recognized this year when the Bohemian Foundation and president Pat Stryker donated $15.2 million to the football program to rebuild Hughes stadium and rename it Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium. Lubick has been awarded the conference coach of the year four times in his 10-year tenure at CSU. He has led the Rams to seven bowl game appearances and three end-of-season top 25 rankings. He is sixth on the list of active coaches with consecutive winning seasons with nine behind the likes of Florida State’s Bobby Bowden and Texas’ Mack Brown.