Authors: Todd Nelson

Fall semester begins with CSU under the direction of a new president.

Larry Penley, 54, formerly dean of the W.P. Carey Business School at Arizona State University, replaced Albert Yates as the university’s 13th president on Aug.1.

“Larry Penley’s leadership brought ASU into the ranks of the leading public business schools,” said Lee McPheters, associate dean for executive and professional programs at ASU.

Penley said the opportunity to broaden his impact on higher education led him to the leadership position at CSU.

“As the state’s land-grant university, Colorado State is uniquely positioned to meet the needs of society by providing a top-quality education, conducting cutting-edge research that is relevant and serving the people of the state, nation and world,” Penley said in a press release. “Colorado State has a great responsibility and a great opportunity to make a difference.”

Cara Neth, assistant to the president, said that Penley has not announced an agenda for this year because he wants to take time to find out the university’s needs first.

“He wants to learn what the university’s needs and challenges are before he sets that agenda,” she said.

Penley will make $310,000 in base salary. He will also receive a $40,000 housing allowance, a $10,000 car allowance and $20,000 in deferred compensation, according to university documents. This is $6,332 more than Albert Yates’ compensation package in 2002-2003.

Penley earned $178,650 in base pay and $111,350 for holding the G. Robert Herberger Arizona Heritage chair at ASU.

Raised in Tennessee, he received his bachelor’s degree in psychology and his master’s degree in communication from Wake Forest University. He earned his doctorate in management from the University of Georgia. He studied Spanish at the Centro de Artes y Lenguas and Universidad Autonoma de Mexico in Mexico.

Penley said the most important thing he has done in his first few weeks as president has been, “getting out and listening to what faculty, students and staff have to say about the university.”

“I’ve just been impressed at how much Dr. Penley really enjoys meeting with students,” Neth said. “He really seems to thrive on that interaction, listening to students and seeing what they have to say.”

Penley said listening to what has worked for the university in the past was important.

“If I’m going to help I’ve got to learn the success stories,” he said.

Penley’s academic career includes 10 years at the University of Texas at San Antonio. He was also a visiting faculty member at the Universidad de Carbobo in Venezuela.

“I think he is coming to CSU at a time when his particular set of skills and knowledge are what we need to take us to the next level,” Neth said. “He has a strong business background, an excellent academic background and an open, yet decisive leadership style that seems like a good fit for our campus.”

Christiana Nelson contributed to this report.