Authors: Joelle Milholm

The newly named Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium will soon join the ranks of Coors Field, Invesco Field at Mile High and the Pepsi Center by highlighting the Colorado skyline and demonstrating the wonders of today’s technology.

Thanks to the $15.2 million gift given to CSU athletics from the Bohemian Foundation and president Pat Stryker, construction crews will inhabit the grounds for the first time in 35 years to modernize the stadium’s out-dated design – giving it a well-deserved facelift. Two of the most distinguished architectural firms have been selected to complete the additions for Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium.

Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum, Inc. (HOK), one of the world’s leading firms in sports facility design, and Aller-Lingle Architects P.C., Colorado’s architectural firm of the year in 2002, will be in charge of the renovations.

Aller-Lingle Architects P.C. is based in Fort Collins and highly anticipates taking on the local project.

“We are very excited about getting started on this project,” Aller-Lingle Principal Mick Aller said. “We are looking forward to giving it a whole new aesthetic look and bringing it up to modern times. It has not had any work since it was built in 1968 and it needs to be remodeled.”

Aller-Lingle Architects P.C. was also named the 2002 Firm of the Year by the American Institute of Architects. The company has been prevalent on the CSU campus completing projects such as the James L. Voss Veterinary Hospital Master Plan, the Robert H. and Mary J. Flint Animal Cancer Center Addition, the Lory Student Center Student Advocacy Addition and Lower Level Renovation, and the Moby Human Performance Laboratory Addition.

“Aller-Lingle has earned a well-deserved reputation for excellence in facility design,” Associate Athletic Director Christine Susemihl said in a press release. “We are so pleased that a firm so embedded in the community and the university will play a major role in the project.”

HOK, based in Kansas City, Mo., and founded in 1955, has worked on over 840 projects exceeding $12 billion. The corporation has built or renovated 24 of 30 Major League Baseball stadiums, 30 of 32 NFL stadiums, 75 professional and civic arenas, 40 soccer and rugby stadiums, 40 convention and performing art centers, and 30 major event centers.

“HOK is recognized as the leader nationally and internationally in sports facility design. We are pleased that HOK will plan the expansion and renovation of the stadium,” Susemihl said. “It will be, without question, one of the finest facilities in the region.”

HOK’s Sport + Venue + Sport division, which will be taking on the project, has offices in Kansas City, Mo., London, and Brisbane, Australia. It has over 400 employees and has a role in more than 600 sports projects.

Its resume includes the construction of Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies, Pacific Bell Stadium, home of the San Francisco Giants, the Pepsi Center, home of the Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets, and FedEx Field, constructed in a record-setting 17 months and now home to the Washington Redskins.

HOK has also made improvements or expanded stadiums at the University of Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Kansas State University, Pennsylvania State University, and Virginia Tech.