Jul 162003

Authors: J.J. Babb

Dance the night away for a charitable cause.

On Sunday, a benefit dance and silent auction will be held to help fund the Caf/ Summer Theatre program at CSU. The Benefit Dance and Silent Auction will be held from 6 p.m. to midnight at the Sunset Event Center, 242 Linden St. Fort Collins.

Caf/ Summer Theatre has been in existence 27 years, performing comedies, tragedies to entertain the Fort Collins’ community.

“It’s 27 years old, it’s been highly successful,” said director of publicity for the department of Music, Theatre and Dance Alana Minor. “It was just a problem with money.”

The money problem came from large budget cuts this year and the program was only kept alive through the hard work of students, staff, faculty and community members. The benefit will also help raise the money needed to keep the theatre alive.

“We’ll probably have to do this (benefit) a few years,” Minor said. “This one attempt will not save it forever.”

This summer the theatre is performing two shows, The Fantasticks and Private Lives. For ticket information call 491-5116 or 491-5562.

Minor sees the major problem of losing the summer theatre program is the lack of professional experience the performers will have to put onto their resumes. According to Minor, all productions participated in during the year are only counted as curriculum not experience.

“It’s our responsibility to save this for the students,” Minor said.

Eric Prince, the co-director of the two plays being performed this summer believes the CSU theatre program offers a connection within the community.

“Theatre is art and entertainment and community outreach all in one uniquely harmonized form,” Prince said in a press release. “Saving our summer theatre program enables CSU to retain an invaluable means of fulfilling its mission- connecting our students with the people of our community in pursuit of knowledge and pleasure and appreciation of our simple humanity.”

The fundraiser will feature live music, dancing, catered reception, a silent auction, a date raffle with cast members and door prizes. The live music will be jazz compliments of CSU’s Director of Jazz, Peter Sommer and Friends, followed by classical harp music.

There is no admission to the benefit and money will be raised purely through the silent auction.

Donations of silent auction items have been made from all over the community and campus, according to Minor. Items include scuba lessons, massages, dinners out, gift certificates, kegs and more said Minor.

“The silent auction’s going to be exciting because of the wide whelm of items,” Minor said. “It’s going to be a good time.”

All proceeds will go directly to the Summer Theatre program. For more information contact Alana Minor at 491-4042.

Out box:

July 20

The Caf/ Summer Theatre Benefit Dance and Silent Auction

6 p.m. – midnight

Sunset Event Center, 242 Linden St.